Work work work...

Ben Hutchings

21 hours ago, Clive said:

Sounded an idea, so next day rang the Uni, a week later a visit there and I was on the PGCE.

What a load of tosh that course is! Thankfully I was drunk most of the time I needed to type up an essay and did most of the work a day or two before the deadline. That's allowed me to forget much of it.

3 hours ago, ferny said:

What a load of tosh that course is! Thankfully I was drunk most of the time I needed to type up an essay and did most of the work a day or two before the deadline. That's allowed me to forget much of it.

I suspect your course was rather different?

Mine was 3 days a week in school, teaching an ever increasing workload and a final half term of full time teaching. Plenty of input from staff etc. The uni bit was less useful, but in retrospect filled in many gaps and improved understanding of greater context. And allowed a gathering of us trainees to discuss stuff, made you feel like everybody was having the same issues. 

39 minutes ago, Clive said:

I suspect your course was rather different?

Mine was 3 days a week in school, teaching an ever increasing workload and a final half term of full time teaching. Plenty of input from staff etc. The uni bit was less useful, but in retrospect filled in many gaps and improved understanding of greater context. And allowed a gathering of us trainees to discuss stuff, made you feel like everybody was having the same issues. 

It's in my contract that I must either have or be working towards a PGCE - a hangover from when FE lectures needed to have it. As I was teaching full time (had been for a year by this point, I did my assessors award during that time) mine took two years, with half a day a week spent in uni.

For all of us who have been forced to do it this way, it's just a massive headache. Where I work they started putting people on PTLLS a year or two ago (despite it being replaced) and have now decided to stop that for a lower level qual.

"My first proper job after college was as a trainee manager in a Motorist Discount Centre. I remember the the owner of the chain bragging to us on a training day that he planned to have more shops than Halfrauds by the end of the year. He managed it some time later, and not long after the chain promptly went bust. "

I remember MDC, the only credible retail competition to Halfrauds, unless you knew about motor factors!

I had a few jobs before 'conning' a company into accepting me as an accountant. Some quick on the job training and ended up as chief accountant for an ex civil service company. Retired at 60 when having been taken over by another company they 'centralised' jobs meaning that the stuff I enjoyed was moved off me and I had the dross left.

Edited by Phil Townsend

Failed 11 plus, went to a terrible secondary modern school.....
Ministry of defence electrical/mechanical  apprenticeship, day release C&G
Physiologic measurement technician at Kings College Hospital  block release HNC, that got me into
Sussex University to do a Medical Electronics Degree
Couldnt get a job in medical physics/electronics so joined
GECO Norwegian seismic survey company. Worked on Vibroseis field crews all over Europe.
Married Jane who I meet at Sussex, moved to Cambridge, got a job with the MRC APU, developing electronics for experiments.
Joined Schlumberger in the New research lab (oil field services). Developing Experimental electronics,  test equipment (including some very big toys) and running field tests.
Lots of travel, good pay and a great innovative company. Really good fun career.
Retired 5 years ago with an excellent pension, I think my generation have been very lucky.
I have a great garage/workshop, plenty of toys, one Triumph and 2 delightful grandchildren. Life is good.

Mike 

• Like 1

First year group I taught through the school.... I was still learning the trade then, but that year group did get exceptional results. (largely down to Kim who ran the class)

It is funny, I occasionally bump into people I have taught, and all have been great. In fact there were very few I would really not be interested in seeing again. 

43 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Did he teach you Neil....? 

Nick

Indeed he did.

We learnt a lot about setting different things alight. 

There was probably other stuff too.

And he used to rock up every day in a yellow Mk3 Spit that became blue one summer (or was it the other way around?)

Edited by npanne

Blue to yellow.... and started as a 1300, but one easter holiday it became sprint powered. The lady wife ended up driving that car up until the point she was too pregnant to fit behind the wheel. Soon after I built my 2.5 Vitesse so we could fit sproglets.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, npanne said:

We learnt a lot about setting different things alight. 

Did he get a mad look in his eye….? I used to have a chemistry teacher like that. He loved fire and bangs and blowing things up. He had a glass eye and his left arm was covered in scar tissue as a result of a serious burn (separate incidents!)…… nutter!

Nick

Blimey, some interesting career/life stories there.

Amazing how many have just taken a path that presented itself to them. Looks like the school careers officers were not that good.

Jobs were so difficult to get, that I just took the first job I was offered. Young people these days seem so much more relaxed, informed and confident. Every year at work we take on a number of young uns, both 'normal' and graduates and it amazes me how laid back they are (although, they do seem to think big bucks salaries are a birth right), if it does not work out, they are happy to start again elsewhere. Just wish I had been so confident back at the age of 19.

BTW, does anyone know how to slow down the passage of time?

33 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

BTW, does anyone know how to slow down the passage of time?

Find a convenient black hole and park your spaceship in close orbit. You'll age much slower than the folks at home. The only problem is that, from your frame of reference, it will seem like their time has sped up.

(Travelling to said black hole at near the speed of light has a similar effect)

• 3 weeks later...

Lollipop lady and school cook there”s me - wow how exciting.  Always wanted a job in the motor trade and here I am the dreaded yellow peril,  scourge of the school run lol

I will have to work til my little legs give out or I drop off my perch to keep my trusty old Herald (joke!! ) on the road