rear wheel bearing on Rotoflex cars

1971vitesse

[quote by=1971vitesse link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1172666041,s=0 date=1172666041]one of my wheel bearings is on the way out and I am wondering if this is a job I can do myself or if I should put it in to someone who knows what they are doing?
Is there issues with shimming etc?...........don't want to make an ar$e of it!!
David [/quote]

That all depends!  :'(
TAKE great care removing the outer wheel bearing from the hub, otherwise you will damage both the shim surface and/or the oil seal surface.
If the shims are broken or the bearing has spun on the end of the outer hub you are screwed!  ;D
(There's a big one that early ones had that was weak, and should be replaced with a stronger one of the same size. Sometimes they break up altogether or the inner of the inner bearing (67048) spins on the hub,- that makes a real mess!)

So long as you use genuine Timken bearings and undamaged hubs/shims, you will usually get away without having to reshim the whole thing, but these bearings are preloaded (like the bearings in a diff) and should never have any free play.  ;D

If in doubt give it to D P to do.
(I reckon)  8)

• 14 years later...

I did it and I’m no expert. Lots of info on internet. However, I did have the use of a press which helps a lot -  especially if you buy new hubs as I did. Use two jacks and a spring lifter to align the top bolt of the vertical link to the spring.  A bit of a knack to it but quite easy and not the terrible job some say it is as long as you think about it.  I like confess I like the rotoflex set up!

Bob