Shifting Ignition Timing (Spitfire 1500)

yorkshire_spam

I'm a bit stumped and although the fault seems to have gone I'm nervous about it returning as I haven't found a root-cause.

A month or so ago I got the Spitfire back on the road and started running in the new engine. But over time I found the ignition was too far advanced giving me pinging even under moderate load. I re-timed everything on the assumption that either I'd done the timing wrong in the first place OR that things were just "bedding in". After a week or so of running I checked it again and this time it's way to far retarded, so I re-timed again. Then the other night it was so far out that the mis-fire stopped me in my tracks, "twiddling" with the dizzy position got it running well enough to get me home. I've gone back to my old dizzy now just to be on the safe side.

I pulled the water pump and took the timing cover off to check that the vernier gear on the cam hadn't moved - still where it should be and no signs of movement (all the bolts re-tightened and thread lock applied)

I've inspected the recon dizzy I removed and I can't find anything wrong with it, because of the engine spec there's no vac advance and the base-plate is firmly locked in place. The bob-weights seem to move freely as expected. The recon company have (very kindly!) agreed to re-inspect the dizzy if I send it back to them - so at some point I'll do that.

Dizzy cap is locking firmly in place with no slop/movement when clamped down.

I'm out of ideas if the cam timing isn't moving and everything in the dizzy seems to be behaving I can't see how my timing is all over the place. Oh and I've see the same "jumps" and "moves" in the timing on both points AND electronic points replacements.

I had a that sort of thing on my Spit 1500. I could see the timing moving all over the place on tick over with the timing light. 

I think mine was due to the faulty ballast wire which was only putting out 4 volts. 

I bypassed it with a 12v supply and a new 12v coil. 

Since then it has been on a rolling road tune-up. 

Danny

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sparky_spit said:

Are you sure that the front pulley is not slipping round on its rubber damper, so that you are actually setting the timing incorrectly?

No rubber damper on the 1500 - the pulley is keyed directly to the crank. 

But keep the ideas coming, cos I'm completely stuck!

I had something very similar on my PI and that was definitely the mechanical advance in the distributor sticking. To make it harder to find, it only did it when hot. It was actually the upper shaft (with the points cam on it) going tight on the lower shaft rather than the actual weights sticking.

Nick

4 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

I had something very similar on my PI and that was definitely the mechanical advance in the distributor sticking. To make it harder to find, it only did it when hot. It was actually the upper shaft (with the points cam on it) going tight on the lower shaft rather than the actual weights sticking.

Nick

Very interesting, thanks Nick, I guess if I don't see the issue on the Border Raiders then there is a fair probability it was the recon dizzy. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

No ignition issues during the run Tim, which leads me to think the recon dizzy is the issue. 

What do you think @Clive was our Spitfire going OK on the Border Raiders? 

It seemed to be scooting along very nicely  indeed. Plus you were excellent at "pothole spotting"!

• Like 1