Saloon box in a GT6

TimW

Bearing carrier needs to be longer. 

Use sprint cross shaft and slave cylinder mount.

You need somewhere to mount the rear of the box  I welded a bit of 2mm plate between the chassis rails.

I think the speedo cable was tricky, I can't remember why (it was 25 years ago!) But probably clearance to chassis

Flywheel needs boring to accept the saloon/tr spigot bush.

Possibly other stuff? Engine backplate?

Gearstick came out in the std position. I shortened the stick

All in my 2.5 vitesse.

8 hours ago, glang said:

Do look at the ratios, especially first, of any substitute box you might want to install....

I have already done so. First is significantly shorter than a standard GT6 box but it's also considerably longer than the type9 I currently have. 

6 hours ago, glang said:

According to the richyrichracing calculator a late TR6 gearbox has the lowest 1st ratio of all the big boxes. Not sure what serial number that would be though...

Anything TR will have the fat input shaft, which is great for a heavy clutch.

yiu can swap it for a saloon one if you don't have a very muscular left leg.

If you find a Sprint input shaft you will still need a saloon input shaft as well.

Genuinely guys I'm not concerned about the short first gear. It's not as short as the type 9 and I have a 3.27 fitted so 1st will be an improvement on my current setup. There's no such thing as a cheap triumph gearbox of any description these days!!

I agree and as I have the 3.27 diff I think itll be ok. Any idea how fast you can get out of it in 2nd? I've checked the saloon ratios 2nd is quite a bit shorter than 2nd in the type 9 box. The type 9 is 1.81:1 but the saloon is 2.10:1.. not a huge difference granted but I do find 2nd a bit short with the type 9 

Can I swap and change ratios using a Sprint gearset? I have a lead on a couple of sprint boxes going cheap so thought it may be worth a try as folk fit sprint ratios into GT6 cases and as the sprint box is very similar to a saloon case I was wondering if it was possible?

12 hours ago, TimW said:

I agree and as I have the 3.27 diff I think itll be ok. Any idea how fast you can get out of it in 2nd? I've checked the saloon ratios 2nd is quite a bit shorter than 2nd in the type 9 box. The type 9 is 1.81:1 but the saloon is 2.10:1.. not a huge difference granted but I do find 2nd a bit short with the type 9 

Can I swap and change ratios using a Sprint gearset? I have a lead on a couple of sprint boxes going cheap so thought it may be worth a try as folk fit sprint ratios into GT6 cases and as the sprint box is very similar to a saloon case I was wondering if it was possible?

Sprint, as in dolomite sprint, gears are totally different to gt6, and won't fit into a gt6 case.  Maybe there are gears etc about with "sprint", ie racing, ratios. Probably from sah etc.

Yes, dolly sprint gears can be used in a saloon box. But watch out, I think tooth angles changed at some point. Possibly when they changed from a to j type? But do check that.

In my vitesse I broke several 3.27 diffs,  usually pulling away "promptly" in first. It put a massive strain in the diff, a longer first would have been a great help. 

12 minutes ago, Clive said:

Sprint, as in dolomite sprint, gears are totally different to gt6, and won't fit into a gt6 case.  Maybe there are gears etc about with "sprint", ie racing, ratios. Probably from sah etc.

Yes, dolly sprint gears can be used in a saloon box. But watch out, I think tooth angles changed at some point. Possibly when they changed from a to j type? But do check that.

In my vitesse I broke several 3.27 diffs,  usually pulling away "promptly" in first. It put a massive strain in the diff, a longer first would have been a great help. 

Thanks Clive 

I'd have thought that a shorter first would put less torque through the diff as it would be easier to spin the wheels so not being as hard on the diff?? I've only broken one 3.27 and that were the roll pins in the carrier that broke. I don't have that issue now with the LSD. 

Think I've made the decision to fit the saloon box as is.  I've now sourced a dolly sprint cross shaft and slave cylinder bracket. The only thing I need info on now is what clutch release bearing carrier to use with the gt6 flywheel and pressure plate??

47 minutes ago, TimW said:

Thanks Clive 

I'd have thought that a shorter first would put less torque through the diff as it would be easier to spin the wheels so not being as hard on the diff?? I've only broken one 3.27 and that were the roll pins in the carrier that broke. I don't have that issue now with the LSD. 

Think I've made the decision to fit the saloon box as is.  I've now sourced a dolly sprint cross shaft and slave cylinder bracket. The only thing I need info on now is what clutch release bearing carrier to use with the gt6 flywheel and pressure plate??

I think it may be off a dolly, possibly 1850? Mine used the std saloon carrier, made the clutch very heavy, plus I had to modify the cross shaft. 

Mike Papworth will know.

It is down to the saloon flywheel being much thicker. Messes the geometry up.

50 minutes ago, Clive said:

I think it may be off a dolly, possibly 1850? Mine used the std saloon carrier, made the clutch very heavy, plus I had to modify the cross shaft. 

Mike Papworth will know.

It is down to the saloon flywheel being much thicker. Messes the geometry up.

Thanks Clive

A call to Mike Papworth or Tony Lindley-dean is in order I think. I really need to keep my balanced GT6 flywheel 

6 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

I was going to say, don't use a saloon flywheel!

But you beat me to it. 🙂

it is approaching 60 in second, then add OD on second (easily done on a later saloon box) and you are up round 70.

Great stuff. Do I need to change the backplate from a GT6 one to a saloon or TR6 one?

• 5 months later...
On 05/08/2021 at 11:03, Nick Jones said:

The saloon box does not fit a GT6 backplate. And it’s more than just a couple of holes out.

The saloon engine backplate and TR250 / 5 & 6 are all the same part. The angle is a red herring.

Nick

The saloon TR box sits vertical in a Gt6 Vitesse. Angled to right in a big T