roger.england

My Vitesse has an alternator. On finding that when the alternator was on maximum adjustment (almost touching the engine bay valance) the belt still wasn't as tight as it should be, I ordered a new belt. The new belt is shorter and narrower, but cannot be fitted as the alternator will not move inwards enough to get the belt round the pulleys. (This new belt is the same as the spare that came with the car)

I a bit puzzled as I assume there will be little difference in the diameter of different alternators

Has anyone any thoughts please?

Roger

It's probaby like my spitfire - an odd diameter pulley on tjhe alternator. Although the alternator is the right one it came off a mini and the pulley is a slightly different diameter to the proper one as a result the listed fan belt doesn't fit. (as I found out when I came to fit it at the side of the road).
I measured the length I needed with a loop of string and took it into the local motor factors to get one that did. Like you though it wouldn't go over the pulley - had to take the bolt out of the adjusting bracket, alternator then went close enough to the engine to get the belt on and could then pull it back to get the afjusting bolt back in again.

Hi Roger the problem with alternators is in general the pulley is smaller as it need to turn faster than a dynamo, the pivot points are often the same but the case being of larger diameter means it stands of the engine a bit more, hence nothing fits.
the old belt should have its size (length) marked in the numbers on the flat
if all else fails measure with a tape, and buy one a lttle smaller, if you run out of fingers cut the belt and lay it out straight to measure, (a bit dramatic) good factors should have a belt measurer on the wall   happy new year  Peter

Archived