Crankshaft Pulley/Timing Cover

xebec

Hi,

I wonder if anybody can tell me the size of the crankshaft pulley nut as I need to get a spanner or similar to remove this as I am going to renew the timing chain and wheels for a duplex setup. I am doing this because I am getting a rustling sound from the front of the engine at idle which disappears under load. I believe this points to the timing chain etc as I have no idea as to when this was checked or renewed, possibly never. I just need to remove the crankshaft pulley first and need to know the size and any tips that anybody can give me to remove this. It does not look easy at this time  :'(however, have doused it in WD40 to attack it at the weekend.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks & Regards,

Ken

15 16ths  or 24 mm  

put socket, or spanner on, and turn engine over till its just short of the spanner / socket hitting the chassis, GT 6/Spitty, or on a saloon, a big block of some thin under neath, then  turn engine over on the key, it will loosen the nut no bother,

Marcus

Gentlemen'
Small journal 4 cylinder is 1 7/16", the only reason I have such a wrench!
                                                                Cheers,
                                                                Paul

Hi All,

Thanks for all your inputs, muchly appreciated.
I have today managed to release the crankshaft pulley nut and have gotten the timing chain cover off to find the tensioner in the bottom half of the cover. I do not know whether this was the problem but I am going to change to the duplex setup. The chain looks a little longer than should be.
A few questions if I may:
I know that I have to initially adjust the gaps on rockers 7 & 8 to around 80 thou with I assume no 1 open and no 2 open. I need to then put the timing cover back temporarily to bring the crank around to TDC on the compression stroke. If I am correct at this stage I would then remove the crank and cam wheels complete with chain and then adjust the cam to give equal clearance between 7 and 8 on the rock. When I have this then I can put on the duplex setup keeping the chain tight on the drive side (right hand) adjusting as necessary to match up the cam holes. Is this correct? I also am not sure as to which way round the double cam wheel needs to go onto the cam. I assume it is the flatter side and not the ridged side.
Please could someone advise whether I have this correct or whether I need to be carrying out another procedure in respect to this.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken

Archived