Crank pulley/damper

Clive

This is actually for my zetec engine, but the techie side must still work......

Basically I need to move the crank pulley further away from the block by about 30mm. I was just going to get a friend to machine an ally pulley up, but a tad concerned as the pulley also acts as a damper (not just balance) and as it will spin to 7000rpm I want it to be right! Don't fancy a snapped crank or anything.

So, shall I just get the ally one made up? (I have seen lightweight ally ones on ebay, but they may just be pants bling cr@p or something) or do I need to be a bit more clever? The alternative is moving the engine back, ie loads of work!

Luckily the oil seals are not on the pulley, so thats not a problem.

Cheers to anybody who can help.....

Clive

Graham, there was an excellant thread(or part of) somewhere here, but I can't find it!!!!! You are right to be concerned, if the information coming out from that thread is to be believed(and I beleieve it). Sorry I can't be more help. :-/

GT6boy wrote:
Graham,

:-/

The names Clive, or clifty, or hanger please. Where did the Graham come from ??)

But I have found this link, not sure I really understand it though
http://www.secoperformance.com/Tech_Corner_April.htm

At one point I was considering doing a cut and shut welding two together, but that may be rather unwise.

I suppose I could just lift the engine and bash a hole in the bonnet! or fit a DS plastic one or something. But I really want the positve steering back for the car! Last time I read a techie article it was about steering, and I gleaned enough to make out that moving the rack was OK. So thats why I seek advice on here more and more!

Clive

cliftyhanger wrote:

:-/

The names Clive, or clifty, or hanger please. Where did the Graham come from ??)
I suppose I could just lift the engine and bash a hole in the bonnet! Clive

Sorry Clive. You do the bonnet bashing, and I will call you Graham for ever!!!! ;D

::)

I like my bonnet just the way it is!
Will look at some jiggery pokery I think. I am just too scared to play with the pulley. I could try a single v pulley off a cvh engine, which is a straight swap. That might let me get the rack much close to the original position. And get the engine back a bit and and and.............

Just move the engine back.....................you KNOW thats what you must do, and its a lot less hassle than picking up bits off the road on a regular basis.

The steering rack is where it is for a reason, moving it bu**ers up the geometry. If you move it up, you have to shorten the distance between the INNER rack balljoints, if you move it down, forward, or backwards, it has to be lengthened, how much depends on the camber and ride height you have set. This is an over simplification, but what happens when you get it wrong is that the relationship of toe in, toe out, and wheel angles alters........................complicated and gives me a headache. By the time you have worked it all out, you may as well just move the engine in any case.

This is the reason why you cant just sling any different make rack on there

davesideways wrote:
So as I suspected moving the rack screwed up the steering? I seem to remember being told it was ok?

I didn't believe that for 1 second.

Damper is there for a reason, what with the price of Zetec engines at an all time low, do you really care if the bottom-end lasts less time and the bearings wear out when you can buy another for £50?

I did some research on the net, read some articals etc and thought I had it sussed. However, I was wrong! It was a long time ago I did maths/mechanics, and it is showing. Oh how the brain aches sometimes! (usually after a few pints of Harveys, thats only started recently too :'( :'()

Don't think I fancy upsetting cranks too much. I will go the route of moving the engine, at some point after the summer. Guess it will take 20 hours approx, but will cost about zero unless the prop has to be shortened. It may slide in enough with a bit of luck.

And zetecs £50, not round here :-/ still £100 but its the sheer hassle of swapping. And I would have to get a pully made as well. Best bite the bullet!

Archived