Crankshafts and pulleys

Andy Borris

Will all MK2 cranks accept the power steering pulley or is it just S type crankshafts?

And how important to smooth running is the crankshaft balance weight/timing mark wheel on a 2000 engine?

The EDIS trigger wheel will replace the balance wheel, but weighs less then half it's weight....!

Thanks

Andy

Nick_Jones wrote:

It's perfectly possible to fit a trigger wheel and retain the original pulley and damper.

Nick

I'm using the original Ford wheel, it's a lot fatter then a aftermarket wheel, but it come with the EDIS package.

The damper I removed from the practise block seems to be all metal? Not at all like other dampers I've seen. Perhaps I could get it turned down a bit in lathe? And if I do, will affect the way it works?

I doubt very much it'll fit without some machining work!

Andy

Nick_Jones wrote:

It's perfectly possible to fit a trigger wheel and retain the original pulley and damper.

Nick

I'm using the original Ford wheel, it's a lot fatter then a aftermarket wheel, but it come with the EDIS package.

The damper I removed from the practise block seems to be all metal? Not at all like other dampers I've seen. Perhaps I could get it turned down a bit in lathe? And if I do, will affect the way it works?

I doubt very much it'll fit without some machining work!

Andy

Here's mine.  Standard and entirely unmolested Vitesse pulley with a Sierra 1.8 pulley centre and timing wheel (I sawed the pulley itself off).  Mounted used a slightly longer pulley bolt and a stepped washer to centre it.  Lock bolt fitted later one the position had been sorted.  Had to go to an electric fan though.

Nick

Oh well, but to the drawing board and I'll have to check the credit card as well!

Maybe I can squeeze a trigger wheel in between the crank and steering pulley.

Did find this http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/upgrades4mgs/Electronics/edis_trigger_wheels.htm a DIY wheel, but made from much thinner sheet steel. Might be easy to fit?

Andy

I managed on mine - sandwich it - you might need to space the pump forward by the same amount - my front pulley drives the aircon but it the same idea - I had to space the compressor forward (PAS pump comes of a double pulley on the water pump)

http://triumphwestoz.blogspot.com/2009/10/edis-6-success-by-heath-robinson.html

So I've had a measure and I think a 2mm wheel on the lines of this: http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/upgrades4mgs/Electronics/edis_trigger_wheels.htm will fit in between the crank pulleys and the balance wheel.

The balance wheel isn't disturbed during fitting either. Simple small machine screw through the pulleys to lock it in place.

I'm going to try and get a quote for a laser cut one.

Andy

Archived