camshaft choice

MissSpentYouth

Hi Guys, Well my new 1500 dolly engine is spread out all over the garage floor I managed to swap a spit sump for a dizzy so its all ready to go back together only Canleys seem to have run out of stock big end bearings :-( But whilst I am here with the engine all in bits how much easier to slot that new camshaft in now rather than in 6 months time when it is all back together.

My questions are which cam ? Can't decide between the Kent Fast road 30-70 70-30 280 or the Kent Fast road 83 37-63 74-28 280 ? Whats the best supplier ?

I wouldn't  describe myself as a boy racer more looking for more midrange torque typically not revving it much past 4500 in normal driving any suggestions ?

Also can I get away with keeping my current cam followers or is this a no no ?

Also do I need to go to the expense of a vernier pulley as I would rather just bolt it straight in with a new chain and tensioner ? I don't have a dial gauge either

The rest of the setup will get a straight through exhaust and manifold plus K&N's and stub stacks plus gas flowed head in due course. Looking for about 100 BHP.

There have been some good threads on this in the past eg. http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m=1172738132
Do a search. I decided on a TT Road 83 as I didn't want to lose too much torque, if I ever get around to fitting it I'll let you know what it's like!

Wow, what a thread more info on cams that you could find anywhere I imagine. This has been really useful as these faster cams only really start to do there stuff past 4000 RPM and can take a chunk off the torque below 3000. As I tend to change up not far past 4000 in normal driving I think I would miss the loss of low down torque when pulling onto a roundabout etc and not reap the noticeable benefits that you start to see past 4500. If they were cheaper I might be tempted by a road 83 but by the time you have added followers and postage it is getting a bit pricey for the smaller gains you get with these mild cams. So think I will stop messing about and get my new engine fitted the big ends arrived today so all set now :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived