Sourcing Piper camshaft

mike91

Hi there,

I haven't been working on my car for a while - tightening of the purse strings and all that put quick stop to engine rebuilding.

Anyway, I am hoping to get going again this summer and job one is to replace my cam, I am thinking of going for a Piper TRBP270 - I have heard good things about it, has anyone had any experience? I have also looked at the Kent Cams TH12, but they seem few and far between.

But I am struggling to find a place to source Piper cams online... does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers, Mike.

What work has the head had done on it? From what I understand you want to match the head spec with the cam carefully.

My plan is to eventually get a Newman TR5 profile grind onto a 4 cylinder cam, and match that to 10:1 compression, 1.44" (backcut) inlet valves, porting and 3 angle seats.

I'd get the cam now but I can't see it making a right lot of difference without head work.

I had the head machined mildly last year ready for the rebuild, it had a small skim to increase compression ratio and was running at about 10:1 after that.
At that time it was polished and I am going to port it - other than that it is fairly standard... all additional modifications will come with time but cam is first as my old standard cam is knackered (130,000miles) and I just want to get it back on the road now.

The TRBP270 also says it doesn't need any major mods to get the most out of it.

Go along with wat Nick says about the MK 3 one.  with some head work , it will give at least the same as the after market ones, maybe even more.!!                                      As I, to my amaze ment found out.
albeit in a 6 pot, but the cams the same profile.
No flat spots, and a flat T curve too, no need to get diff springs, good idle, and also quiet.

M

Archived