Groove worn in crankshaft

Eagerbeaver

Looking at the crankshaft where the rear oil seal sits, I can see a pronounced groove where the crankshaft runs in the seal.

When I fit a new on, it wouln't seat exactly the same so I'm wondering what to do.

If I grind the face down, I would need a smaller diameter seal - how would I specify this or where would I get one?

I could pack out the aluminium seal housing or the put a packer behind the neew seal so it sits further back on the crankshaft but I would have thought there is a standard tried an tested way to do this.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Hello Eagerbeaver,

the principle of your second idea works in some circumstances, but not by packing the seal holder but by fitting the new seal in a different position such that it does not run in the groove. This only works if there is sufficient depth in the holder. As it's many years since I've stripped one of these engines I don't remember what sort of depth there is?

Alec

I think there is enough depth but the difficulty would be ensuring the seal is in squate. I think I'll get a packer machined out of nylon or polypropylene to act as packer.

I like the idea of the speedisleeve but surely it would need the shaft to be machined. I suppose it's easy enough to so seeing as the crankshaft will be at the machine shope anyway.

I was wondering what others have done.

Hello Eagerbeaver,

It's not difficult to get it square. Sleeves don't need any machining, they are so thin that they do not impede the seal fitting despite being fractionally larger in diameter than the  original crank. You need to ensure that it doesn't get in the way of the flywheel spigot though.

Alec

Archived