crank bearing replacement advice...

swifty

Right, having done the dreaded end-float test and found rather too much movement for my liking, I thought I'd whip the engine out and replace all the bottom end bearings including the big-end etc (not too big a deal as the engine was sitting on the bare chassis...) This is not something I have done before, so I need a bit of rookie advice - How do I tell what size bearings are in it at the moment? Is there some sort of indication on the shells themselves, or is it a matter of a vernier gauge/micrometer on the crank to check its diameter? If so what diameter would equate to which shell size? Hope this all makes sense..

swifty,
the shells should have a stamping on their reverse side normally ,std, for a standard shell,.010 for 10 thou oversize,020 for 20 thou oversize and....well,i expect you get the idea ;)
but you really need to mic up the journals if there is any significant wear on the bearings as the crank journals could be worn oval and fitting new shells to them may result in a short life of both bearings and crank.
and i don't need to say that cleanliness is essential when working on oil sensitive areas do i? :)

Archived