Rear crank seal - major strip down?

Steve Cureton

Steve_Curton wrote:
can it the seal be replaced from the gearbox side?

yes

Steve_Curton wrote:
without removing the end plate?

no

ps & rear oil seal housing

Steve - what year is your car? Assuming it's got a 1200 engine, most of these have a scroll seal rather than a lip type, the latter was commonised after the introduction of the 1300 engine, which shared the same (lip sealed) crank.
Parking facing uphill will cause a drip from the crank scroll, likewise pointing downhill will do the same at the gearbox input. Park on the flat and you should have no problems!
Cheers,
Bill.

Bill, it is a 1200 but unfortunately it leaks even when parked on the flat. It's not a major leak but does need a drip tray to protect the driveway. I might just decide to live with it as the engine needs to come back out at some point to be transferred to the Herald I'm restoring, I just thought I might fix it if it wasn't going to be too major a job (other than dropping the gearbox) as my main concern is that oil might make it's way on to the clutch.

I've got exactly the same issues Steve. It's not affected my clutch so far and I've done around 6,000 miles with it like that. Just make sure the drain hole in the bellhousing is free and you should be alright.

I'm going to pull the engine out and do mine some time in the future. While I'm there I'm going to replace the clutch and fit an alloy bellhousing. Still got to save up for the latter so I don't think I'll be doing it anytime soon!

You still need to establish which seal you have, early scroll or later lip type. Chances are the oil is coming from somewhere else though - oil gallery at the back left of the head is a favourite, or a leak from the back of the sump/seal housing.
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived