Head & Block faces

Oggi

I finally got a few hours to myself yesterday and decided to start the head strip down on the Herald. Worryingly the head bolts were not what I would call tight (little effort on the socket bar to release them) anyway once all the bolts/nuts were removed the head was a pig to get off but gentle tapping with a rubber mallet and the hoist round a couple of points and she gave in. Once removed the gasket was a mess and the mating faces of the head and block were far from clean.

So my questions are what would you guys recommend to clean the mating faces with as they both are showing bad carbon build up. Secondly would you recommend skimming the head or just clean up?

its down to how far you want to go,
the Cast heads dont suffer from warping but corrosion around the coolant bores can be quite bad after years of the wrong antifreeze.
I remove all studs and use a mouse sander with some fine oiled wetdry to clear all the old gaskert residue back to clean shiney steel.
die nut the studs to remove old residues in the threads, plenty of paper/rag down the bores and cam gallery.

always use new high tensile nuts and washers, std off the shelf 3/8" nuts will not hold the 42 lbsft, ( should be a black oiled finished nut.)
soft washers deform and you loose toqure

but if both head and block faces clean up nicely , it will be fine

if you want to spend money of going unleaded thats up to you, there.s loads of lead memory in the old castings and many drive for years without any problems
but while its off its back to preference and budget,  and how many miles you will be doing , if you do long regular high speed motorway useage  then it something to think about , if you tear arround on a few runs and some local pottering its awaste of money

Peter

Steve, Peter, Thanks for your input. I will be cleaning everything up over the evenings this week and will run a straight edge over the faces, if they appear true then I will possibly reuse as is.

Peter The mileage will be limited to just weekends and holidays so as you say going down the unleaded head route wouldnt be cost effective. I do however have a spare engine which from what I was told when I bought it has an unleaded head, is there any obvious way to check without dismantling? All i know is the head is painted green but apart from that looks identical.

From what I can gather there is no way the head could have been tightened down properly not quite sure as to how this is unless the previous owners had been messing as 42 lbsft should take a little more than a gentle pull on a socket bar.

I use a Stanley bladed flat scraper and then some 400 wet and dry with WD40 on it to do the final clean. Using a large eraser/rubber (apologies to those in the US...) as a block with the wet and dry works well, or just very carefully with your fingers.  Then wipe it all off with cellulose thinners, or something that definitely does not leave any oily residue.

Well it's all back together now after a week of evenings cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning and then reassembly. After a little persuasion it fired back into life.

No signs of any foaming so thats good news. The bad news is it runs until it gets warm and then dies and refuses to start again for about 10 minutes and then will struggle back into life. I have checked the timing and that is right so now to the carbs. When it wont refire when warm there is a strong smell of petrol and looking at the plugs they have sooted up.

Question where is the best starting point on the mix is it best to ammend it once warm or from cold?

Question 2 anyone recommend a good supplier for rocker cover gaskets I have been through three and non have done a good job of sealing, admitadly they have all been from new old stock gasket sets. My nice clean engine is now covered in oil again (not happy)

450 wrote:
The bad news is it runs until it gets warm and then dies and refuses to start again for about 10 minutes and then will struggle back into life. I have checked the timing and that is right so now to the carbs. When it wont refire when warm there is a strong smell of petrol and looking at the plugs they have sooted up.
I wonder if you might have an ignition coil going bad? I've had those exact symptoms with a failing coil.

450 wrote:
Question 2 anyone recommend a good supplier for rocker cover gaskets I have been through three and non have done a good job of sealing, admitadly they have all been from new old stock gasket sets. My nice clean engine is now covered in oil again (not happy)
Had the same problem last summer with several NOS gaskets. Of course, a couple of them were likely over 50 years old (from Standard 10 gasket sets)! I decided to try a silicone gasket, along with making sure the cover is straight as Bill notes. Here's one supplier (Gasket Innovations):

http://www.gasketinnovations.flyingcart.com/index.php?p=detail&pid=2&cat_id=

Picture showing cross-section:

So far, it's worked pretty well for me. I don't know if there's anything comparable from a UK supplier, but the above folks do ship internationally. NFI, just a satisfied customer!

Once again Thanks guys for your responses.

I have used flexable sealant on the rocker cover gasket as a temporary fix, the rocker cover is past its best so will go on the long term shopping list.

The Carbs have turned out to be a diffrent matter, whilst pondering the situation over a brew I just happened to notice a drip onto the manifold, so afer watching for a while it happened again. So obviously not a good mix fuel dripping onto hot manifolds so I had to rebuild my spare carb again as the one that had just been serviced was dripping fuel from the spindle So I now have to set the new one up.

And I thought old landrovers were tempromental, this Herald is deffinately fighting me all the way. My list of jobs just to get it back on the road seems to get longer not shorter. This was meant to just be a quick refurb and go job as believe it or not it was on the road up until 2008.

450 wrote:

And I thought old landrovers were tempromental, this Herald is deffinately fighting me all the way. My list of jobs just to get it back on the road seems to get longer not shorter. This was meant to just be a quick refurb and go job as believe it or not it was on the road up until 2008.

My vitesse has been fighting me since july last year, and it came with an MOT. So far petrol tank, clutch, steering rack gaiter, carb rebuild, rocker cover gasket, exhaust. And a lot of tidying the inside and outside. still more tidying to do, a wheel bearing is loose and the handbrake is out of balance. No doubt there will be plenty more to do soon.

Archived