Which head gasket

Longstroke

I have a 2500 block which has had a significant skim taken from it which has removed the engine number. However the skim hasn't fully removed the sealing recess whichis machined into the block. The height is the lip is now approximately 0.5mm.

Which head gasket do I use? If I use a gasket with the extram ring around the bores will i have a really good gasket seal on the bores but a poor seal on the water and oil galleries? Is it just safer to use a gasket for a non recessed block?

lagerzok wrote:
The recesses are about 0.038" deep on an unskimmed block. You need to keep decking the block until the recesses are gone (much better way of getting the CR up than skimming the head) then use an early non- tabbed gasket   OR - remachine the recesses to 0.038" and use a tabbed gasket

Thanks Andy. I had a feeling that your reply would read as it does. Would there be any disadvantages with using an earlier non tabbed gasket with the recesses at their current depth?

The engine came to me like this and reportably did run reasonably well before being left outside for 10 years (the car fell apart from around it).

If it had recesses and ran OK I think the tabbed gasket is the only one to use - the fire-rings might get an extra "squeeze" thats all - the main issue would be if the fire rings don't squeeze that extra bit then a waterway "may" leak. But if it ran OK before you should be OK - Don't use a non- tabbed gasket unless the block is completey flat as the fire-rings won't get squished enough - then it will blow!

Archived