Hylomar and a head gasket. . . .

Tom1200

Hi there,

just had the head off of the 1200 due to the old head gasket failing. Before i put the head back on, just wondering whether it would be beneficial to smear the gasket in hylomar?

what do people think on the subject?

Cheers, Tom

The only place for a bit of gloopy sealer (I use blue hylomar) is around the oilway at the rear of the head otherwise keep it clean. There are those that advocate a thin smear of grease over all surfaces but I've never felt the need to do that myself.

The Triumph 4 and 6 cylinder OHV engines are well known for slight oil leaks around the oil way between head and block, that feeds the rocker gear at the rear offside corner.

I did what Jason suggests when rebuilding my Mk2 Vitesse engine a few years ago and its kept it leak free in that area, I didnt use anything else on the head gasket, just make sure everythings clean, that you get the correct gasket and fit it the correct way round.

Shame the engine leaks slightly from the front timing cover seal  now! :( :(

Regards

Gary

head gaskets need to be dry to grip correctly any grease or sealant of the silcon type will allow everything to move around as the head pants ,it has very different states of movement compared to the block ,  
wellseal is an old tried and tested product but is mainly for copper/ asbestos gaskets  not the steel or klinger types     Peter

Archived