Gasket clean-up

bodders1

Hi All

When I built up my Spit 1500 engine, I used a Payen gasket and ran it without coolant for a minute or so to ensure that the gasket was cured onto the mating surfaces.  This worked rather well.

Now I've got to replace the head gasket, and there is quite a lot of the old gasket well and truly stuck to the mating faces of the head and block (see pictures)

What is the best technique/substance for cleaning off the remains of the old gasket ready for fitting a new one?

thanks
bodders1

I agree, use something that is sharp yet relatively soft in comparrison to the block and head, and just take your time. It doesn't actually take very long once you get going, it certainly shouldn't take any more than an hour. I usually use a pen knife for most of the gasket and a slightly blunted wood chisel to finish off ant stubborn bits, and I've never had any problems wit this method even on an aliminium head. I'm told you can get gasket softner from automative suppliers but I've never tried it myself. By the way, even gaskets without sealant usually stick and break up in ths way so don't blame yourself for it, I'm also a stong beliver in using a thin coat of sealant although I know others have their own opinions.

mattius wrote:
you can buy a gasket scrapper from machine mart, just like a large flat blade screwdriver, works very well.

Yep, got one myself - it's brilliant for getting old gasket residue off.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht438-long-reach-scraper

resto_virgin wrote:
Every time I see that Bod picture, Bod's tune goes through my head

That tune followed me all through school. :B  My surname is "Bodiam".  It took my schoolmates about 4 seconds to rearrange it to "I am Bod".
I was known throughout school and college variously as Bod, Bodlet (I had an older sister at the same school), and Bodders.  

mattius wrote:
these are the fellows i have

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht437-gasket-scraper-set

Got a set of those, too - didn't have much luck with them for fetching off gaskets (no flex in them); but, they come in very handy for 'coaxing' off stubborn cylinder heads - nice little wedge that can be tapped in between the gasket to split it.

Archived