Core plug(peugeot 406)

Alex

I've found my car leaving a water trail when pulling off the drive.
It's got worse this week(only noticed it Sunday).
Initial inspection suggested it was the water pump however now(after I've bought a cam belt and water pump etc) I've found a fine spray from a core plug.
Does aNyone have any decent suggestions how I could seal this temporarily as i can't locate a core plug before thebeginning of the week.

I just had another look,I think the k seal may be the better option.....
The problem with the chemical metal is going to be the fact that half the engine needs dismantling to get to the plug.

Has anyone used k seal before?

Is it going to cause other issues?

Thanks
Alex

My mate (Marina / Caddy Steve) used k seal in his Discovery V8 when the head gasket started to leak.  It kept it going for a few months but, predictably, it expired in a big cloud of steam one day.  Sadly, this was just after he'd sold the car and the AA man found traces of K seal in the system which led to a very irate new owner and my mate having to take the wreck back and give a refund.

I'd avoid using it.....

I have used K seal to good effect on a friends Rover with a head gasket problem. It was using 2-4 litres of water a day, popped some k seal in it, worked a treat. The car is still going strong 2 years later. The K seal does stay in the system but have not seen any issues with it clogging heater systems, unlike Rad Weld. I was so impressed with it I carry some in my boot for emergencies, wouldn't use it as a permanent repair unless the car was not worth repairing, but as an emergency solution it's good. Although I think in your situation I would just keep topping the water up at the start of each journey and repair properly as soon as I could, will save £10 cost of K seal and repeated flushing of cooling system to gid all the K seal out when you replace core plug.

AlanChatterton wrote:
Liquid metal will give a decent temp repair on that Alex.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_176487_langId_-1_categoryId_255230

Not ideal, but a good temporary solution until you can get chance to do it properly.

Indeed, and if central, stick a penny or 2p piece over with liquid metal/araldite or whatever.If around the edge you may be able to push some into the leak and around.
I also use ce-lit on cars with no adverse effects (similar to bars leak)

Egg white in an emergency!

In the army we used to have some product that looked like poo, (and smelt like it)
You would have to work it in your hands to get it soft, then pop it in the radiator to let it do it's thang!

Your hands stank for ahes,  :-/ but it was great stuff, just can't think of the name of it!

Job all done, had to remove loads to get to the plugs.
I wouldn't fancy changing the rear ones however.
To be honest even the leaking one was rusty but it had a mark on the inside around where the leak was that looked like weld splatter. Strange but at least it's done!
Should be good for the next 200k :)