Low sheen engine paint...

JimEB

Jim you can get 'satin' engine paint.  I use 'satin' paint most of the time for accessories and other parts because I hate the gloss finish on things as I don't have fancy show cars ..........

MUT

p.s. It is not true that I use satin on my body paintwork, that is because I am too lazy to regularly polish Woodie.  I gave it its annual polish for the RBRR!

Ted - I've been using a black Very High Temperature engine paint from Halfords recently, which gives a finish somewhere between satin and matt, even though it says matt on the tin. It withstands 500 deg C. They  They also do High Temperature paint in gloss, satin, or matt but it only withstands up to 180 deg C.  I went for the VHT as it had many more good reviews than the HT version, and also needs celly thinners to clean the brush rather than white spirit for the HT, which I took as being a good thing.

It went on really well by brush, dries quickly and was only £7 for a tin.  However, I have not actually tested it as such yet.

http://www.halfords.com/motori.....int-matt-black-250ml

http://www.halfords.com/motori.....nt-gloss-black-250ml

I never use Hammerite for anything nowadays - dries too hard and chips in use, and cannot be overpainted properly later for repairs.

If black is required I now use Simonize Tough Black especially where not using a primer/undercoat is desirable.  I find it especially good on things that I have derusted back to base metal such as when using phosphoric acid.

MUT