Engine 1300 / 1500 swap - help!

JeremyColley

Having blown up the 1300 engine in our Spitfire, we have sourced a second hand 1500 unit.  Obviously this is not going to be a straightforward swap - we can work around the carb size (we think) by re-jetting the 1300 SU's to work with the 1500 engine, but we do have a problem with the clutch and flywheel

the kaput 1300 engine has a smaller clutch than the 1500 engine and different splines on the friction plate.  Looking at both flywheels it's clear that the friction face is different, so are the bolt sizes - the 1500 flywheel bolts have a larger diameter than the 1500.

so - we can't swap the flywheel and clutch from the 1300 engine to the 1500 engine, because the bolts are too big - do will drill out the 1300 flywheel to accommodate the larger bolts or will the eventual smaller clutch and 1300 flywheel combo be too weak for the 1500 engine?

Alternatively, can we obtain a larger clutch friction plate - (the same size as the 1500) BUT which has the same number of splines as the 1300 friction plate?

Or - will we have to swap out the 1300 gearbox for a 1500 unit (or swap the input shaft?

Sorry if this sounds complicated but it seems there's no easy way to solve this problem

Thanks in advance

Jeremy and Goerge

Covered here
Sorry , link no longer available

probably others as well.

Was your 1300 a large crank or small crank one? (Roughly speaking MkIV Spit "FH" = large crank, Mk3 Spit "FD" = small crank, Herald 13/60 GE = small crank & GK = large crank, DG & DH Dolomite/Toledo + large crank)  I'm curious becuase I was uunder the impression that the large crank 1300s had the same flywheel bolt sizes at the 1500 but others disagree.....

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick

The engine is a Mk4 'FH' prefix so I assume it is the large crank, however the bolt holes in the 1300 flywheel are smaller than those on the 1500 flywheel.  If the 1500 bolts fit the 1300 crank then I can drill the 1300 flywheel out to accommodate them.  I'll check tomorrow.

Ideally I need a larger clutch plate with the fewer (coarser 1300 type) splines - then I can leave the 1500 flywheel in place and use the 1500 clutch cover and bolts as well - if this is an option.  Bit of a minefield...

A useful thread though - even if opinions are somewhat divided

Jeremy

I think the plate is a morris minor or midget item. Worth checking as NOS stuff regularly turns up on ebay very cheap.

Or you could just drill the 1300 flywheel out. Very simple solution, plus a lighter flywheel. If the 1500 isn't tuned to produce lots of extra power it will be OK.

Quoted from Nick Jones
Covered here
Sorry , link no longer available

probably others as well.

Was your 1300 a large crank or small crank one? (Roughly speaking MkIV Spit "FH" = large crank, Mk3 Spit "FD" = small crank, Herald 13/60 GE = small crank & GK = large crank, DG & DH Dolomite/Toledo + large crank)  I'm curious becuase I was uunder the impression that the large crank 1300s had the same flywheel bolt sizes at the 1500 but others disagree.....

Cheers

Nick
GK 13/60 engine has small diameter crankshaft/flywheel bolts. Mine has anyway.. Eng no is GK180HE, so late 13/60, but early GK.