FlyFifer

This is what happens when time to fully service a K-Series VVC engine installed in a GT6/Spitfire. No room to change rear belt as it's very close to bulkhead. The engine under the hoist is being rebuilt this week with new head gasket, stretch bolts, water pump & both belt kits etc. Will be sourcing a replacement full clutch to suit prior to installing the engine.

Will clean up the casings etc whilst engine is out & still on the engine stand.

Willie.

Not keen on your use of ropes for attaching engine to hoist! I have seen sharp edges slice through them where they go through holes attachment points. Best to use lifting eyes and chains in my opinion. If you must use ropes at least double them up and don't get anything soft underneath the motor when lifting, shouldn't do that even with chains as ram seals can fail suddenly. I have a neighbour who walked under a 1 tonne bag of fertilizer when the ram seal failed on the Manitou loadall. He didn't walk out the other side, he did survive and make a full recovery but did spend a considerable time in hospital.

The nylon type rope around my engines intended for pulling cabling through ducts and has quite a breaking strain but only used for moving the engines around the garage. I have an engine crane leveller for the actual lifting/installing making angle adjustments infinite when trying to align everything up plus it's directly bolted to the engine. For an extra £25 over the price of the hoist well worth purchasing, makes the whole job much easier and, as you rightly implied, safer.

Willie.

5861 wrote:
The nylon type rope around my engines intended for pulling cabling through ducts and has quite a breaking strain but only used for moving the engines around the garage. I have an engine crane leveller for the actual lifting/installing making angle adjustments infinite when trying to align everything up plus it's directly bolted to the engine. For an extra £25 over the price of the hoist well worth purchasing, makes the whole job much easier and, as you rightly implied, safer.

Willie.

Absolutely right Willie. I've just got an engine leveller, should have bought one years ago. It is absolutely superb all for about thirty quid.

5861 wrote:

Willie.

Phew.
I hope you didn't think I was trying to teach you to "suck eggs" as from previous posts I know you are more knowledgeable than that. I just wanted to make the point to others reading the thread that may not have the experience that most have on the this forum.
I found that using ropes(and yes I have in my younger days) that it isn't the breaking strain of the rope that is the problem but where the rope passes through attachment points which maybe quite sharp as they can slice through the ropes like a hot knife through butter. Well that was my experience anyway. No harm was done but it did scare the crap out of me.  ??)
Can't vouch for engine levels enough, don't know how I managed without one before. Actually I do as my back reminds me most days of the stupid things I have done in the past.  :B

No problem Spider, good advice never goes amiss.

Mate has an old school garage currently with an E-Type FHC, 50's Morgan, two MGB GT Sebrings (3.9 V8 & A 2.0ltr Zetec) XR2i with 25,000 miles. a Lotus Esprit, Hillman Minx and a droop snoot Firenza all in various states of build. When asked about a replacement clutch and pressure plate for my T6 set up he produced  NOS Ford items from his squirrel stores that fitted straight onto my flywheel and 23 splined gearbox shaft. Just need a release bearing now, neighbour over road runs a bearing outlet and spoke with him about a replacement this afternoon.

Price, I owe him a pint (he never goes to a pub so going to be difficult to honour that one!)

Still awaiting return of cylinder head from having it checked & skimmed (only if needed) plus valves reground etc. The list of parts to rebuild grows daily, going to change all the hoses & clamps re-routing to suit install since old Fiesta rad changed to an uprated alloy 3 core larger capacity item. These jobs are never straightforward once started, it's the golden opportunity to address those areas that you were always going to address but so far never actually got around to doing.

Willie.

[qu
can't vouch for engine levels enough, don't know how i managed without one before. actually i do as my back reminds me most days of the stupid things i have done in the past.  :b
[/quote]

Should have said "Can't vouch for engine levelers enough..." back to school for me I think.  :B You all know what I mean even if I don't  ;D