Donington Historic and 1147 race engine needed

rbm

so last weekend we made it to the Donington Historic Festival with the Formula Junior and even made it to the chequered flag ...

...well in one race and for what turned out to be the first finish by a Triumph powered Formula Junior since period in the early 1960s.

what is apparent is we need more horses! may be this is why we are the only triumph powered junior

so can anyone recommend a race engine builder who they have used?

Richard

The regs applying to the racing series also need to be considered as they may limit what you can do (ie no 8 port heads maybe - not that these heads are easy to find or cheap).

Any decent engine builder should be able to build a bottom end that will stay together.  The clever bit is getting decent power out of the head.

Probably worth giving Dave at Canley Classics a call.

Nick

Richard,

"the first finish by a Triumph powered Formula Junior since period in the early 1960s."
You are too modest!  This is an astounding acheivement!  And no pictures!
Please kepp us informed!

Datamining, I think this is you at Donny:

John that is Rich Elligworth in an embarrassingly quick Gemini

The Autosport mk2 is a one off Canadian car, using the Triumph engine, front wishbones and diff  a Lotus 11 gearbox and one off chapman strut rear suspension.

as for the engine it is 1147 that is sleeved down to 1099cc (get get under the FIA max for Juniors) and has to have a 2 inlet port head. it has to keep the crank throw, the original block casting with a wet sump and steel rockers an that is about it.

Richard

Richard - the other Richard!
My apologies - I saw your first initial and did not pick up another Richard o the grid.
No matter, I still think you have achieved a great thing,!

I'd concur that Jigsaw is a good place to go.    They know about Le Mans type race engines, and surely there is no one today who can speak from experience of 11147 engines sleeved down!
What to do?
If not pump fuel, sky high CR and Very high octane fuel - the Dutch series that use the Legendary Circuits do this, but in Spridgets. http://legendary-circuits.eu/
How many carbs?  Fuel injection??
Some very clever porting, camshafting?

Do you have contacts in the 750MC?  Their Formula 750 uses the Fiat 1108cc engine with similar restrictions, so they may have some secrets to share: http://www.750mc.co.uk/formulae/750-formula.htm

John

the bottom end is not a problem, but we might need a better cam. I think as the other post suggest it is the top end that needs work.
we can only use 100RON leaded or 102RON un-leaded fuel.

At a guess we are around the 60bhp (just over 8:1), the Nick Swift BMC formula junior engine is around 115bhp and 8500 rpm - so we have a long way to go!

anyway

the pistons 67.8mm race pistons to give 1099cc I had made and modified con rods on top of the sleeved bottom end on the kitchen table (best not tell the wife!)

the 1099cc Triumph race engine in all her glory - just could do with a tad more go.

That looks very nicely done.

One of your challenges will be to get the CR up enough to work with a suitably wild cam - the reduced bore won't help.  What cam are you running now?

Bit of info-mercial on 1147 head here http://www.jagclub.ru/1147.html

Nick

the reduced bore means we need to take 2.2 mm off the head to get to up to 10:1.

the cam is a one off made by Autosport Equipment in the 60s and said to be MG TC race profile.

does anyone have a spare 1147 6 port head they are happy to part with?

I know nothing beyond what I'm about to type, but my understanding over the years has been that racers of early Spitfires with the 1147 often sought out the 948TC head. I wish I could tell you more; sorry! Perhaps someone else will have some further insight on this.