2000 Mk2 engine into a Vitesse

Einar

I’ve got hold of an original 2 liter engine that has been modified to 2.5 liter. The engine no. is ME13364HE and according to the list of prefix’s:  [Sorry, link no longer available] it comes from a 2000 Mk2.

The engine, gearbox and diff that are in the car now are a mix according to what was original in the Vitesse 6. The gearbox fitted comes from a GT6 Mk3, no.: KE 4200. It is fitted with a D-type overdrive and a 1:3.63 differential. The engine is from a Vitesse Mk2, engine no.: HC 51342.

So my question is then: Will the 2000 Mk2 engine fit directly into the Vitesse? Can I use the gearbox that sits in the car? Anything major I need to consider before? Yes, there are various threads about “2.5 liter conversion”, but my main question is whether a 2000 Mk 2 engine is a direct swap ……. FYI: The engine is rebuilt and supposed to be in very good condition.

Any feedback and considerations are very welcome.

Thanks

The sump may not have the Vitesse's steering rack recess in it. And if you swap sumps with the current engine, the 2.5 crankshaft will hit the shallower sump. That can be cured with a hammer though.

I don't think a D Type overdrive will cope with the 2.5's torque though. A J type will.

Having done this sort of thing (a while ago, so may foorget a few things!) the others above have it correct. Basically a swap, but some bits are needed from your existing setup:

Sump as it is a different profile, 2 dents needed to clear the crank on number 1+2 (simple)
Use existing backplate and flywheel. May also need the crank spigot bearing??
Chop off frontplate engine mounts or swap frontplate.
Use your existing inlet manifold, but you want dolly sprint HS6 carbs. Needles about right in them too. Manifold will need opening up to match the carbs (easy) and the carb mounting holes slotting to fit the old stud spacing, again simple. Airfilters tricky, you can modify the existing airbox and std filters if you wish, or fit K+N's or similar.......

If you don't drive it like an animal the gearbox and diff will be OK. The driving experience is quite different between a 2.0 and 2.5 so be prepared for that.

Thanks for all the replies, as Clive says “basically a swap, but some bit are needed”.  Front and back plate is available from the “old” unit. The carbs on the “old” engine is SU HS6 and hence is the manifold. The “only” two items should be modified: the sump (these also appears on eBay now-and-then) and, yes – I’ve got this from other threads that a J-type overdrive should be used.

Nick_Moore wrote:

I don't think a D Type overdrive will cope with the 2.5's torque though. A J type will.

My D type has stood up to plenty of 2.5 abuse over the 8 years I've owned it. The gearbox is the weak spot I reckon...I never floor it in first.