Fishmanboy

Hi all.
Does anyone know of a cheap modern 16v 4 cylinder converstion for the dolomite. Or maybe even a modern 6 cl engine (say a bmw)?

I was thiking along the lines of a 16v Vauxhall red top engine (most likely a 2.0l from a Calibra), but am having problems finding out what gearbox i can use to mate it fit up to the the diff etc....

If anyone has heard of any similar set ups or has any information on this kinda project  i would be most most greatful to hear from you!

Cheers
Dan

the 16v red top should be used with a 1.8 carlton or 1.8 manta box. obviously you will have to fabricate mounts, and have a propshaft made using the dolomite rear joint and the vauxhaul front, with the appropriate length shaft in between.
use a sprint rear axle too.
or you could use a rover k series, a conversion plate is available to mate it to your triumph box

Rover M or T 16 (as found in the 820), Rover 5 speed box from an SD1, TR7, etc. Sprint back axle to handle the extra grunt, and of course better brakes! You can also go for the 8 valve (most common I believe) or 16 valve Rover 2l turbo engine if you want to get a bit silly.

Rovers have such little reasale value that there should be plenty of rusty ones around with good engines, going nice and cheap :)

Also keeps it in the BL/ Triumph family.

Everything I have found out so far says yes :)

The 820 lump is just a fnacy O series under the bells and whistles, and I think in 8v form it might have been fitted to Landies too (not entirely sure, something I've been told by a dodgy source).

You'd need the right endplate, and maybe do a mix and match clutch, but it should be do-able. I've discussed it at great length with a born and bred scrapper/ mechanic whenever I go and pay through the nose for parts (cause he's the only one in the county to have Triumphs in his yard) and he agreed with me that a rwd O series engine plate, M/T series engine, and Rover 5 speed box would all go together without too many problems. He gets plenty of people with my sort of mad ideas (but somewhat more cash for trying them out) turn up and buy the parts, and I think he had someone do something simlar with a Sherpa van or suchlike!

I think the 2l Rover engine gets very overlooked when people are looking for more power, more a problem with reputation than quality IMO.

• 1 month later...

Well have have taken the first step in my 2.0 XE conversion.
Im now the proud owner of a lovely Manta getreg gearbox

All i need now is.....
A 2.0 XE engine
A Dolomite sprint (any help in finding this would be appreciated)
and a bit of spare time  :D

Wish me Luck

Dan

I don't really want to use solid sprint as it would seem a shame to start dismantling a nice example (plus im thinking about my budget requirments). The only reason im using a spint over a lesser dolly or a herald is because i was told the sprints diff would be more up to the job, and the fact sprints look a little cooler. With the extra horses uprated suspension and brakes are first on my shopping list so those issues dont really concern me.

In terms of the sprint im looking for obviously the state of engine isn't of any importance to me other then for resale value of those bits and im not too bothered how tatty the car is. On the other hand i don't want anything too rotten either as i dont want to spend ages welding and buying new sills/ panels etc. I really only want to do minimal work to the body and spend my time/ money on other things.

So the real job is finding the right car that has got the balance between the two and for the right money (ive seen some right mice invested heaps go for silly money on ebay)

So my search continues!!!!!

Oh and as for the vauxhall Lump i agree... they should be very easy to track down for a good price!!  :D

Easy enough to put a Sprint axle onto a lesser engined model; mountings are the same; identical. Shame to 'waste' a Sprint if you are ripping the guts out of it; conservative estimate only 250-300 left complete in UK!

as for 'looking cooler' the vinyl roof alloy wheels and front bib spoiler can all easily be added to a lesser model too and they're the only essential external differences...

only thinking i have a 1300, that was converted to 1500 hl spec, so has bib spoiler, also has a a full vinyl roof, all you need is coachlines, and as for sprint alloys have plenty to spare. Shell is very solid, and was resprayed relativly recently, some damage was done when a herald owner ripped out engine to the front pannel, but is a very solid shell. was going to use for one of my engine conversions, but for right offer, may let go, 

You can do a Zetec conversion (the 130HP variant) quite "easily" too...

- Zetec 1.8 Fuel injected 130HP twin cam 16 valve from a Mondeo w/ all ancilleries
- Ashley 4-2-1 Manifold
- Cotton reel engine mounts *4 to mount on subframe or something like that
- MT75 rear-drive gearbox
- DOHC starter motor from 2.0 Granada or Sierra
- 1.8 Zetec flywheel
- 1.8 CVH Sierra sump, pick up pipe and sandwich plate
- 1.8 Zetec pressure plate and Sierra 2L clutch, Sierra pilot bearing. Requires bending of clutch fork, otherwise bolts straight on.  (my arse )

If retaining the FI, you'll need a high pressure return fuel line, swirl pot and appropriate Hi-po pumps.

Also, if you are to use the MT75 you will need the output flange from a Transit van, it has a circular flange other than the 3 pointed thing on the sierra . It has 6 bolt holes and a prop can be made up to fit 4 of those.

You may also choose to use the Burton water rail that relocates the thermostat, so you don't have to addle with the bulkhead.

A Zetec with decent management, on twin 40's/45's (which will make it sound right, too) will return 160-180HP. Bolt on turbo & supercharger kits, depending on taste, are easily availiable too and the engine will return around a 7000+ "safe" RPM range with Cosworth bolts ..(if I remember correctly...actually I think they might be ARP).

Sprint axle is good for 300lb/ft provided it's in good order (according to AGL1K), I think 4spd O/D box is good for 220lb/ft? Seem to remember the touring cars ran near that figure...

Just in case that's any use to anyone :)

Im hoping for about 180 bhp  from the XE with a set of twin 45 webers. I Agree it should sound rather nice  ;D

The ford option does sound pretty good... sounds like u know of the full shopping list to get the thing completed... im just playing it by ear and buying the bits when i stumble upon needing them (im sure not the best way of doing things!!) So if anyone can think of any things im gonna need feel free to let me know he he!!

This could turn out to be the bodge of the century..... We will soon see!!!  ??)

Chat to Westfield/Caterham as they make bellhousings to mate a ford box with Rover K Series 1.4/1.6.1.8 and Vauxhall 2.0 have raced for many years  with these never had a problem, if your thinking about a 5 speed box look at the top gear ratio as most are 1:1  which is the same between 4 and 5 speed boxes just more changes to get there

That is indeed a very nice conversion... not the most practical though!!! You wouldn't look so cool if it rained!  ;D

The engine seems similar to that used in the radical SR8 http://www.radicalextremesportscars.com/index.php

Im sure both would be ideal weapons of choice on a track day if not a Tesco run  :D

Archived