Raider

What kind of spec engine should I go for?

I have a very second hand Sprint engine in my TR7 which I am using for tarmac rallying.

It is standard with improved breathing over the standard Dolly installation due to the tubular exhanust manifold/sports system, a K&N insert in the standard airbox along with plain discs in the SUs and stub stacks. Other than that there's Lumention Magnetronic electronic ignition and an electric fan.

Whilst this holds together I want to prepare a reconditioned engine for use on the Manx rally (or before if needed!).

Number 1 priority is reliability - when you spend £1400 just on the one event an unreliable engine will mean a very bad day :o

After that I think about my driving capabilities - not great! That means realtively slow into corners and I need power to pull out from them. So power from low down revs and the ability to "spin up" quickly"

I am not worried about bragging rights so the spec doesn't have to be all singing all dancing - it just has to work.

So - in two sections what about the head and what about the short engine?

What cam should I use in the cylinder head? I'll most likely be using the SU carbs but wouldn't rule out 45DCOEs sometime in the future.

get used to what you'r got improve brakes and handling then when you mastered everthing go for more power then you'r need to improve everything again the more power the more you'r break and use more tyres will have a chat if you like regards michael

A carefully built standard engine should be just fine. A little bit of lightening and balancing, good quality parts (bearings, pistons, gaskets etc), decent ignition system (high energy coil, high res. leads, electronic igniton with rev. limiter). The standard camshaft has a good, smooth spread of power delivery, plenty of pick up from low down. 'Performance' cams don't tend to come on song until higher up. Check out the specs on the Kent DMS1 and Holbay Tornado cams though, mild but quite useful improvements. I have a DMS1 in my road car and you wouldn't know it was there until you put your foot down. A claimed 8% power boost but the torque just keeps on coming, right up to the red line.

michael wrote:
get used to what you'r got improve brakes and handling then when you mastered everthing go for more power then you'r need to improve everything again the more power the more you'r break and use more tyres will have a chat if you like regards michael

I agree with get used to what You've got Mike but I am not sure how long it will stay together!

Hence building a new cylinder head just in case ;)

You know I reckon standard is fine with a bit lof balancing as old 32 valves says - interesting on the cam tho (think)

• 2 months later...

Archived