2500 engine rebuild help

trummy 2500 est

hi ive just picked up a triumph 2500 engine and box and goin to change my auto estate to manual, while ive got the engine out, just wondered whats the best way to tune the engine up?? ie can i skim the flywheel?? can i put new rings and shells in it? and can i put a different cam in it, if so whats the best sort?? and whats the maximum can i skim the head too?? Also my estates diff is winding is it possible to put the good one out of the saloon in it??

Many Thanks..

Jamie

Heres some answers...first ...you need to establish what your engine came out of or give us the engine number...skimming the flywheel is a good idea on the rear face but needs to be done by someone that knows what there doing 27LB down to 18LB.....rings and shells are readily available (although original Vandervell VP2 s are rare )...an early PI cam (308778) gives good results....if its a 219016 S head this can be skimmed to 3.410"..leaving a safety margin (PIs were 3.400")...all diffs are interchangeable , but 2.5s need the 3.45 ratio ideally.....this isnt a comphrehensive list just a few pointers ,hope it helps.

piman wrote:
Hello BQ03,

I use 6,000 rpm in mine and it's held together for umpteen years.

Alec

WOW alec my 2.0 rev counter redlines at 6000rpm.  I didn't think the 2.5 liked it that high. I will have to take it out tommorrow and see what it does!!  Thanks

P.I.s produced maximum power at 5500rpm so unless the engine has been modified then there's not really much point in exceeding that figure.

My grandfather often comments that revcounters were only installed for the benefit of women drivers and that a man will know when to change gear by the sound and feel of the engine, the numerical rpm value being unimportant.

Archived