Engine dead... but on the mend.

dazzer

All prepared for the Ilkley Run... 2000 Mk1 LSD, Quaife hubs, uprated suspension, roller top mounts, quick rack... Ready to raise the 2000 profile...What could possibly go wrong?

The stage 1 engine, not rebuilt by myself partially seizes...! However I can still get it out, rebuilt and in for the Saturday morning before scrutineering.

Well almost until the eleventh hour today when we discover that the new pistons have an oil control ring missing! Sods law I guess. So now doing the Ilkey Jubilee run in our TR4... no LSD.

I've also now discovered that the head is pants so we're rebuilding the lot. Be careful who you use for engine rebuilds out there.

This engine seized because they hadn't left enough tolerance piston to bore.

First run will now have to be an autotest.

And it was all looking so good.

Cheers

Darren

sorry to hear about the engine,,,but in my experiance over the years,,,never ever trust a garage to do any work on your motor`s,,,,,they do cut corners(big time)
if you can do the work yourself or get a mate in to do it for you and give the money instead of rip off bodge garages
remember garage are fitters not mechanics!!!

the only time mine is in a garage is mot time or to put petrol in,,,lol

hope you get it sort`d,love to see few pictures

thanks

Hello Nic,

"fitters"

I hope you have not got the wrong concept about fitters, they are craftsmen who make things fit, not fit assemblies or components. I.e., an ideal person to build an engine, as they can measure, assess and select suitable components, adjust clearances as required etc etc.

I have an axe to grind being a time served electrical fitter. A classic remark by a Power Station manger where I worked when there was a breakdown and no spares to hand. (all said in a broad Lancashire accent) "Tha art a fitter aren't tha, mek un.

Alec

It sounds like I have a poor understanding of the terms.

I have always described myself as "a fitter rather than a mechanic" - meaning I can fit parts, after all that's only nuts and bolts but I can't diagnose problems and think of a solution. Maybe I have it the wrong way round ;D

Good luck on the Ilkley Dazzer - I wanted to take part but as you know, the TR7 doesn't want to start either :o

AlanChatterton wrote:
Darren,

Where did you get your LSD from?

Could you tell me more about it and is it worthwhile for a performance road car?

How much power will your car have?  180bhp ish?  Most modern cars with that amount of power will have electronics to detect and brake a spinning wheel and divert drive across the axle.

Even so, you know how tight I am when it comes to spending on cars so I'd be tempted to try a normal diff first and then if you find yourself spinning power away through the inside wheel a lot, splash out on an LSD.

As for using garages to fix your car, if you've never done it, you should try it.  So much nicer than having to fix it yourself.

Hi Alan

The LSD was from D Vessey in Barnetby, Duncan's the man there to chat about it. For originality I had the Tranex clutch type LSD fitted. Very noisy at low speeds turning, all the clutches squirm together, put the power on and it all locks up silent. For a road car I'd probably go for the Quaife variety, quieter and cheaper I think.

Does it make a difference? On the loose or half on half off loose yes... superb the car actually moves forward at a fair rate of knots in a straight line. On the road, well slightly here and there but not enough if your looking for a handling transformation.

Interestingly, during the MOT the guy couldn't check the rear brakes independently as everything kept locking up. He gave up and handed me the certificate.

Cheers

Darren

piman wrote:
Hello my Lord,

"brake a spinning wheel"

Brake, are you mad, we want go not slow? That is a simple, read cheap expedient by manufacturers who want to maximise profit not performance.

Alec

I'm not sure that it's really such a bad idea after all, a spinning wheel isn't really doing a lot to propel the car, is it?  All these modern systems do is offer some resistance to that spinning which diverts power through the diff to the wheel which has some grip, so by braking one wheel, you probably will end up going faster!  It's often advertised as an electronic locking diff and you're right, is a cheapo alternative to a mechanical LSD.  I don't really like the feel of such systems but they are pretty effective.  You can get through brake pads at quite a rate on a powerful car too but they're a lot cheaper and easier to replace than diff friction materials...............

Even Land Rover use these systems now; they can use road biased suspension systems for better ride comfort and handling, no massive wheel travel is needed to maintain traction on rough terrain, if a wheel becomes airborne and loses grip, the computers simply lock it and the wheels which remain in contact with the ground will get you through the mud.

AlanChatterton wrote:
Darren,

Could you tell me more about it and is it worthwhile for a performance road car?

Personally I'd go for 4 wheel drive to keep the power on the road !

mike

Hello Nic,

no not exactly, that was my point fitters don't fit parts they make them fit properly. I don't know what you'd call garage repairers, assemblers maybe? There was a post, I think here regarding a garage attempt to cure a faulty 'J' type overdrive. They tested the solenoid, deemed it serviceable but ordered a new one anyway as the overdrive wouldn't engage with the solenoid fitted. I wonder if the new one did the job?

My Lord,

what is good about wasting energy in applying a brake, better to divert it as an LSD does. I'm not particularly impressed that Land Rover use the same system.

Alec

sorbs wrote:
As for using garages to fix your car, if you've never done it, you should try it.  So much nicer than having to fix it yourself.

Stuff that!  Every time (not often) I have had to get someone else to do work on my car or parts of it, I had to go back because it wasn't done right.

AlanChatterton wrote:
Darren,

It was very worthwhile on 2.8i capris back in the day, that was one of the upgrades that came in when they became the 2.8i special. But anything would have made a capri handle better! ;)

Colin.

Archived