Andy Borris

I lifted a 2500 short engine on my own once, my back is now knackered and the physio terrorist was my new best friend for several weeks. Get some mechanical assistance and be careful. It you're going to crane it into the boot of a Mk1, make sure you've got a bloody good and sound boot floor!

How much does a 2000 engine weigh?  200kg?  That's the same as 3 normal blokes or 2 fatties.  Shouldn't be too much of a challenge for a normal hatchback but a decent estate car would be better.

Just about manhandleable by two blokes if they put a bit of effort in.  An old skateboard is a handy way of moving the engine around.

Picked up the bare block on its own - it was heavy.  Whole engine is a 3 person lift unless one of them is Jeff Capes or Doug.....

Full engine is near 200kg.  Carried one home from the scrapyard in the boot of my Herald many years ago.  Put in with their hiab thingy.  Had to leave it in there for 3 days until I could bribe enough people to help me lift it out.  Handling was a bit scary and the spring never recovered (good bye positive camber  ;D)

Nick

npanne wrote:
I guess it depends on the men, but I think you'd be pushing it, they are VERY heavy! I couldn't lift one with a friend, and haven't tried since!

Would recommend using van and engine crane.

I second that - I was said friend and it nearly bloody hurt...

Archived