engine and gearbox removal?

Radders

Hi all.

I need some advice.

I'm in the process of removing a blown engine (and gearbox) from a Mk2 estate and will be replacing it with a 2.5S engine but out of a bodily knackered Mk1 estate. I read in previous posts that its easier to remove engine & box from underneath?
I'm reasonably new to Triumphs, so I've never done this job before, so how much of the steering and suspension etc has to be removed to be able to do this? (both cars have power steering) Also, is there anything else I should know?

For reference, the Mk2 is an auto, (but will be converted to manual) and the Mk1 estate is a manual OD.

Many thanks.

Hi Radders

You will need to drop the suspension cross member an inch or so, or the sump will not clear it on the way out, if you're taking it out the top that is which is relatively painless.

I have dropped the body over the engine on a fully stripped car, but in your case, rather than just drop the suspension a little you'd have to remove it altogether. I'd definitely just take it out the top.

Cheers

Darren

I'd remove the auto box(undo bellhousing and slide it off, you can even leave the torque converter on the engine if you like).The 2000 motor will lift straight up out the top and then you can either fit the 2.5 and gearbox complete or as 2 units.I've never needed to undo the subframe etc.I did have a bit of a struggle on the mk1 but only because of the heater box being in the way(fitting the 2.5 not removing the 2000 lump).

Have fun whatever you decide,
Alex :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I have to admit though, I got a bit carried away after writing this post and just 'dived in' anyway. As a result the engine and gearbox have now left the car via the underneath. Not sure i'd do it again on the Mk1 estate though. There just seems a lot more to undo with it coming out from below. (Although you dont need a lot of headroom for the engine crane! ;) )

I'll make a start on the Mk1 at the weekend and go for the 'out the top method' I think, just so that I have the experience of doing it both ways. Then I'll make a decision of which way its all going back in!  :)

Richard_B wrote:
Other way is, drop the gearbox off the car. Then you can raise the engine straight up without having to touch th suspension & cross-member.

Thanks.  :)  I'll have a go at that this weekend then!  ;D

Radders wrote:
I'll make a start on the Mk1 at the weekend and go for the 'out the top method' I think, just so that I have the experience of doing it both ways. Then I'll make a decision of which way its all going back in!  

This is great!  Like a scientific comparison.  I'm looking forward to hearing which way you think is best.

One of my first jobs on a 2000 was an engine swap.  The first one came out over the top (minus 'box) and the second came out the bottom.  I've always chosen to take them out the bottom since then.  I don't mind dropping the suspension, but I find it a right fiddle separating the gearbox when it's in the car (and worse getting them bolted back together).

Best of luck.  And no cheating just because the Mk1 has a knackered body - pretend it's a minter and make sure you don't bend or scratch anything when the engine is coming out the top!   ;D

Hello Radders,

I concur with Glenn,  "(and worse getting them bolted back together)."

It's a heavy gearbox for one person to mate to the engine in the car. That would be a last resort for me to do.

I have just rmoved my engine and gearbox to overhaul the gearbox and dropped the lot down.

The front suspension assembly is a bit of a fiddle to line up. I tried using a trolley jack but it doesn't balance so I used the engine crane which was more manageable.

Alec

piman wrote:
It's a heavy gearbox for one person to mate to the engine in the car. That would be a last resort for me to do.

True, I usually have the wife controling the trolley jack standing at the front, whilst I lie underneath the car.

I prefer to drop the lot onto a trolley and lift off the body. when it comes to putting the lot back together, as was mentioned, lining up the gbox to the engine is much easier on the floor. Then all you have to do is slide it back underneath the car and drop it down on top, or lift it up into place. much less damage to the car with the jiggling thing, tho a little more work involved.
b

Archived