Can I fit a Mk1 engine with a mk2 box?

estately

Hi all. I have a mark 1 estate that i am using and preping to be my daily driver and tow car.
It is currently running an early 2000 (long crank i presume) motor and A type manual o/d box. I am building a mk2 2500 engine as quickly as funds allow and have what apears to be a good j type o/d box to fit with it.

My short term trouble is that my clutch is juddering and my overdrive is slipping in reverse, so i would like to drop the A type box, repair the leaking rear main seal and clutch and swap the J type box into the car.

So can anyone tell me if there is a clash with fitting the later box from a short crank motor to the earlier long crank motor?
I know there are pacers needed to lower the g/box cross member, but not too sure what else i may need to do.

cheers.

The thickness of the flywheel sorts the difference between long and short cranks.

As you say, spacers fro the rear crossmember to drop it a bit.

Change of speedo cable possibly.

Change of speedo reading possibly as well, I think all the J-type cars used the standardised 1000 speedo.

May need to match the clutch release carrier to the cross-shaft as I think they changed.

Nothing too major.

Cheers

Colin

DJB_Harvey wrote:
Don't bother .. Very expensive and no benefit in my opinion . Not sure if there still available . Just make sure your cross shaft/ fork/ pin  etc is in order and use a Land Rover series 3 clutch slave for reliability .

Oh ok. I was thinking that i'd fabricate a a holder for a slave rather than buying one - if they existed that is. not a short term plan though.

My engine is apparently a realy early one - it has a breather on the side of the block pointing down towards the sump. I was told that my gearbox might have a longer input shaft than my later j type.
Is this likely? Sounds like the newer box might not engage into the spiggot bush properly if this is the case. :-/

Hi my MK1 saloon also has the early Mk 1 engine with side breather when I brought it already had the later J type overdrive box fitted. My car also used to have clutch judder problems it was caused by oil leaking from both the rear crank seal & gearbox main shaft seal. The rear crank shaft seal on these early engines is a cast iron scroll seal  so there isn’t a rubber seal to replace. I fitted a new clutch & new old stock gearbox from a 2500S to mine to solve the judder.

Yes your original box will have the longer spigot but you can still fit a Mk2 box to it with no mods .
It's the other way round you can't do. EG A Mk1 box onto a MK2  engine unless you fit a Mk2 input shaft which entails a full gearbox stripdown . Hope that makes sense !

Archived