Aluminium Engine Backplates .

DJB_Harvey

Having got my gearbox etc out of my PI at the moment I have a choice of engine Backplates . Standard 5.0KG ( V. Heavy which I don't want use ) Pro lightened steel original 4.4 KG ( which I've used with no problems for the last 12 years OR a new aluminium one at 1.9KG .... What's peoples thoughts on the Aluminium ones for fast road use ?
I'm still not convinced somehow that there up to the job .

I have a friend who races a spitfire with modded steel originals and has even lowered the front of the engine for extra carb linkage/bonnet clearance by modding the original steel front plate. He wouldn't use alloy ones because of stress fractures he has seen in other peoples.

You can get very high quality alloy that would be up to the job, it's just that engine plates don't tend to be made from it and would be prohibitively expensive if they were.
Stick with the modded steel one Dave (IMHO).

Colin.

I made my own alloy engine plates, years ago.
After one season there was fine cracking around the holes where the rear plate bolts to the block, so I binned it and went back to a OE steel one.  

But what benefit?  An aluminium back plate will weigh 2kgs, saving 3 on a steel one.
0-60mph with a steel one - 11seconds?
Weight 1170kgs
So 0-60 for 1167kgs = 10.97 seconds.

Worth it?  Only you can judge.

John

JohnD wrote:

But what benefit?  An aluminium back plate will weigh 2kgs, saving 3 on a steel one.
Weight 1170kgs

You could probably save 3kg by having a bloody good dump before you needed to go faster, far more satisfying and a damn site cheaper.

thescrapman wrote:

You could probably save 3kg by having a bloody good dump before you needed to go faster, far more satisfying and a damn site cheaper.

I'm glad we can always rely on you to provide a technical aspect to the argument Colin.  :)

JohnD wrote:
Weight 1170kgs

thescrapman wrote:

So if we go for Colins low-tech solution and an aluminium backplate

It would probably be 10.95 Seconds

Archived