Nice 2000 MK1 engine find

dazzer

Just picked up a nice original 2000MK1 engine and non overdrive gearbox from a local College. MB48128HE So probably 67/68? Its later than my 65 anyway.

Talk about coincidence I was at an Autosolo in the Colleges grounds, mostly moderns but lots of interest in the 2000 especially after a number of drifts and that amazing 6 cylinder howl, when a chap came over and said they had an old engine & gearbox on a test stand that was just collecting dust and he thought it looked very much like the engine in mine.

Ever the pessimist I said I thought it would probably be a MKII, but no it was a lovely original MK1 narrow head with all the original very clean ancillaries on a proper test bed with a wooden plinth with all the ignition controls and regulator/ oil pressure gauge etc. All professionally fitted out as they used to have at the technical College I went to back in the 70s. Still has the early Laycock doughnut pressure plate fitted.

Doesn't look to have been anywhere. Still on STD pistons etc.

Nice one to warm over for the replacement in the 2000 rally car.

Its amazing what turns up.

Cheers

Dazzer

I was at

Be very careful about these college engines.

Several reasons, based on experience from friends who have had them.

1) Bolts overtightened and crossed due to bungling students taking apart and putting back together hundreds of times.

2) More importantly, these engines were donated by BLMC back in the day, and were often factory rejects for such issues as porus blocks, out of tolerence machining etc etc.

Personally, having seen the world of pain and expense other people have gone through to get one right, I wouldn't touch it.

Hi Alan

The nice thing about the engine is that it was free. But thank you for the warning.

I'll be thoroughly checking it out and taking it to 60 thou overbore to start, if the block and crank stand up to scrutiny that is at the engineers who rebuilt my last motor.  Which is still performing after much abuse.

The gearbox is an A type manual non overdrive, so not sure what to do with it but I'm sure it'll come in useful for something. I tend to run J type overdrive.

Does the prop length change from manual non to manual o/d or does the gearbox extension take care of the difference?

570 wrote:
Hi Alan

The nice thing about the engine is that it was free. But thank you for the warning.

I'll be thoroughly checking it out and taking it to 60 thou overbore to start, if the block and crank stand up to scrutiny that is at the engineers who rebuilt my last motor.  Which is still performing after much abuse.

The gearbox is an A type manual non overdrive, so not sure what to do with it but I'm sure it'll come in useful for something. I tend to run J type overdrive.

Does the prop length change from manual non to manual o/d or does the gearbox extension take care of the difference?

Props are the same for all manuals whether o/d or not  ;)

Colin

Managed to catch the guy at work today. Unfortunately they've scrapped it along with the shed it was in! You'd have been welcome to it if I'd have got it home.

Although I don't think it would be that hard to copy. It was basically part of a front cross member with the two angle iron chassis legs leading back to the gearbox with the gearbox suspended from the top. With legs on. In a nutshell.

I think it would be a nicer job to actually get an old TR6 chassis and chop the aft off. Used to have some old TR4 chassis but scrapped them.

Cheers
Darren