More on engine swaps

Trolleybus

Has anyone in the UK tried to fit a Rover SDI SOHC 6 into a 2500 or 2000?
It is my understanding that this motor was a development of the Triumph 6.
I read somewhere that they had to be de tuned in production as they were producing more grunt than the V8.
Not practical in Aus as I don't think they were sold her.
If it fitted one could claim the car to be still all Triumph.

I think the whole front end is about 6 inches longer.

You can not tell unless told.

Unfortunately The Canleys website is under going an update, (looking good Dave!) and the photo links are missing.

But if you look for photos from the BBC1 series Life on Mars, that is a 2600 engined 2000 when you see a blue Triumph.

Cheers

Colin

Volvo V6 was a development with Renault and Peugeot.  It was a 90 degree V6 where most are 60 deg. due to their plans to make a V8 too.  French electronics are dodgy.

If I were to put a non Triumph (modern) straight six in a Triumph Saloon, then I'd go for a BMW engine.  Mr Borris did it and there are many variations of tune available.  Not all alloy as far as I know, but in my opinion not a big problem.

Lexus IS 200 is I6 with approx 170 bhp and comes with 5 or 6 speed RWD gearbox.  Pretty tall though and probably not going fit without a bonnet bulge.

I also wondered about the more recent Volvo I6 as used in the 960.  Fairly rare beast especially in manual form, which is the main problem also when considering the much more common (and extremely tunable) Volvo I5 as you'd still be wanting the manual RWD gearbox form the 960.....

Ford/Mazda 2.5 V6 maybe.... there are several RWD gearboxes that fit them.

Nick

I've got a Volvo 940 which has a 4 cylinder turbo engine in it and while it's missing a couple of cylinders it might make an interesting swap. The 940 and 2000 are very similar cars in a lot of ways and you could say the Triumph had better suspension on the back !
If you got hold of an early 4 speed gearbox you could even have overdrive although the later M90 5 speeds are a lot stronger.
Power from one of these is around 150 bhp standard but 200 is fairly easy to get with a bit more boost.

7064 wrote:
Encom that looks looks like a good fit, what car is the engine from I can see Nissan on the rocker cover

RB series from nissan, available in 2.0, 2.5 2.6 (rare though as used in the GTR) and 3.0 both N/A and turbo, commonly found in Skylines, Cefiros and Laurels.

Well I started a bit of a run here.
Great pic from Encom above with the Nissan.
I look forward to the Canley Classic web site being completed to see the pics of the cars with the Triumph developed Rover 6.
In Aus the choices really are the Toyota/Lexus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_IS
The Nissan as Encom above http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine
or the Holden GM which is readily available and well priced but not a straight 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine
I would really like to see pics of the Toyota and the Buick/Holden installed.

• 2 weeks later...

The sump has to be modified to fit, you need to run a side entry plenum and a small bonnet bump (just to clear very front of cam covers). To use the factory rad, you cut off the AC compressor part of the crank pulley.

Below are pic's of the modification to the tunnel. If you are in NZ more than welcome to come and have a look just PM me, and the car is for sale as well, I have too many projects, so I have been told - I wonder by whom? :)

9502 wrote:

or the Holden GM which is readily available and well priced but not a straight 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine
I would really like to see pics of the Toyota and the Buick/Holden installed.

In the UK we had a I6 engine in Vauxhall Carltons and Senators. 2.5 and 3.0.

You can (just) fit the 3.0 24v version under the bonnet of a T2000, but don't bank on getting anything else under there!

Did you get a Holden version of that I6???

Cheers

Colin

p.s. I wonder if a Lotus Carlton engine would fit.....  ;)

1867 wrote:
The sump has to be modified to fit, you need to run a side entry plenum and a small bonnet bump (just to clear very front of cam covers). To use the factory rad, you cut off the AC compressor part of the crank pulley.

Below are pic's of the modification to the tunnel. If you are in NZ more than welcome to come and have a look just PM me, and the car is for sale as well, I have too many projects, so I have been told - I wonder by whom? :)

Pity it's in NZ.......  :'( (or possibly just as well!)

Nick