Engine problem (advise?) 3.0 litre V8

Richard B

Had the Stag running after an partial engine rebuild. Took it up the road and the engine cut-out. The starter would/could not turn the engine (just a clunk). Got the car home and could not turn the engine over with a spanner. After a few attempts whilst show a friend the problem the starter then would turn the engine over but very sluggishly.

I've taken the starter off, I'm wondering is this a bearing seized or a Gearbox problem. (the Man O/D box had just been rebuilt.

The bottom end was bought from a trader at Stoneleigh (2004). which had been re-ringed and had had a regind (in hind-sight not the most sensible thing to do, I was saving money over having my original reconditioned).

The heads were reconditioned by a Triumph supplier in the north of England, but are well out of warrenty ( I bought them over 5 years ago before a major house extension and daughter being born, the Stag was sidelined for several years).

A new set of timing chains, and oil pump were fitted along with a spin-on oil filter conversion.

After several attempts with the starter where the engine appeared seized, the starter would turn turn the engine albeit sluggushly. I tried having the clutch depressed but I still could not shift the crank with a spanner.

I have now taken the starter off, radiator out, carbs & inlet manifold off, prior to removing the engine. I feel that it's in the bottom end but I'll have to get the gearbox off and the heads removed to prove. Oh well another set of head gaskets.

I either take the heads off in situ or take the whole unit out and strip it on the floor. Not sure which yet.

I wouldn't of thought the head's would cause it to tighten up when turning over,
Did you have good oil pressure and the oil light went out straight away ETC.
Check the valve timing but I would be inclinded to remove the head's in situ then atempt to turn the engine over.
Sounds like a crank problem.
Can the timing chains be taking off the cam's (a la Sprint) and try to turn over by hand?.

[quote by=wakaday link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1124025514,s=5 date=1124124612]In all my Stag years, i have never come across a locked solid engine. See if it will turn over with your plugs out. You may have a hydraulic type situation where the bores have filled up with water.[/quote]

That was my initial thought when I read this yesterday, but I didn't post it as I'm not really experienced enough to comment and didn't want to send someone down the wrong route.

• 6 months later...

It was the crank, the rear bearing had seized. I'm not sure yet whether that was caused by oil starvation, the bearing picking up dirt or a bent crank. I bought the bottom end from a trader at Stoneleigh 2003 for £400 (that will teach me).

I have got a recon crank from Paddocks and I intend to carefully fit this. But it won't be for another month or so, I'll try and post a photo sometime soon.

At the moment I'm saving up my money for a respray on the Stag. I'm getting quotes of around £3000 for a paint job .This is because the shell has micro-blistering from a previous  respray some time in the 1980's.

Richard.
Make sure the block isn't damaged.. If so, you could put it all back together and have the same problem. I would imagine the cause could be the wrong main caps fitted from another block. They are unique to each engine because they are line bored in situ.

Thanks for the suggestions. The rear part of the bearing (by the seal) had gone to copper, the front part was ok. Also there is evidence of silicon sealent around the mains cap which made me think of starvation.

My initial thought was that the rear cap had been swapped with another one on the engine, but the rear cap is unique. Although as you suggest it might have come from a different engine.

There's me wanting to get the car on the road for the summer. I can see this being a strip down, chemical clean and line bore. (oh and while I'm at it 8 new pistons please............)

No problem, my "hope" is that the old crank is bent.

The Stag is going in for respray in 2 weeks time. I'm spending more money on painting it ,than I have ever spent in my life on a buying a car let alone painting one. Hope I'm doing the right thing. The Stag is booked on a ferry for Classic Le Mans this year..........

and I've still got to get my MkII PI Saloon ready for the RBRR 2006.

• 1 month later...

[quote by=wakaday link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1124025514,s=9 date=1142089214]Richard.
Make sure the block isn't damaged.. If so, you could put it all back together and have the same problem. I would imagine the cause could be the wrong main caps fitted from another block. They are unique to each engine because they are line bored in situ.[/quote]

Is it reasonable to assume that if one bought new bearing shells and crank, the whole lot would fit together with no problem into an existing block with existing caps ? Or does some more matching need to be done ?

Stag is still at the paint shop, now due back next week. While it's away I'm concentrating on the MkII PI welding. As soon as it returns, I'll have a go at the Stag engine.

When the Stag is back all painted then I'll be focussed on the Stag I'm sure.  Well apart from the Spitfire MOT today, and a second Herald to get on the road for Alison to start her driving lessons, oh and nudging Jessica to get her Vitesse petrol tank cleaned and painted so that she can fit that to her Herald, (too many projects)......

Archived