Test of a new engine

AlanChatterton

My Stag is was fresh on the road from a rebuild last June, and I've done about 2000 happy trouble free miles since then.

Today, after cutting them lawns I went to the tip. Lovely sunny day, so I took the Stag.  Huuuuuuuuuuuuuge queue, and spent about 30 minutes queueing in the baking hot sun (about 12noon too!) and the temp gauge NEVER moved. Stayed on qtr from cold as it always does.

To say I was impressed is an understatement, I was expecting it to go all wrong, I even left a big gap infront of me, just incase the temp started to climb and I could go round him and drive off to cool it down.

I'm fairly new to Stags, is this normal, are the horror stories of overheating in traffic unjustified, or is it just 'cos my engine has been rebuilt properly?

(no extra fan, standard radiator, standard thermostat..............)

?

Yes. Its perfectly normal for it not to boil in a Traffic jam and quite normal for people to travel abroad in them.
Forget the past and what uncle Ken and Harry have told you. Most Stag issues are stuck in the 70s and 80s. This is the noughties. Give your Reindeer some hell and enjoy it.

Its true Alan... Stags are basically reliable... I was in the same non-believer camp about Stags ... bought mine and waited for the Kettle to boil... it never has... if anything it runs cooler than the 2500 in really hot weather...

Never become complacent about checking the coolant level as they do not tolerate losing much but basically most Stags run OK nowadays and if everything is up to scratch there is no reason why they shouldn't do it on a daily basis

Alan
sounds just like mine i have done about 3000 miles since my engine rebuild just over a year ago standard fan extra core in rad standard thermostat
picked up mine from having a new petrol tank fitted on saturday lunch scorching hot day going home i got stuck in traffice for 20 mins
temp gauge never moved past a quater
like you i left a gap in front just in case but didnt need it car has been perfect all weekend

Thanks guys, I was just worred for a while. Even started thinking that it was boiling and that the temp sender was broken!!

The radiator has just developed a slight weep on the bottom corner. Where this a 2500 I would ignore it, but I think I'll treat myself to a new rad.

Supergill radiator from EJ Wards is £158, sound about right?

Sounds about the right price - I paid a similar price from SOC Spares a couple of months ago.

Likewise, over the last couple of days my Stags temperature gauge has not strayed above the quarter mark, even in traffic and after a hot 50 mile run along the M25 on Sunday.

Thats a very interesting mod, i have never seen that before
where do the pipes go ?
i take it you have removed the original expansion tank and replaced it with the one shown in the picture
why are you changing the engine it looks like a ver neat installation to me

John

JOHN_LEARMONTH wrote:
Thats a very interesting mod, i have never seen that before
where do the pipes go ?
i take it you have removed the original expansion tank and replaced it with the one shown in the picture
why are you changing the engine it looks like a ver neat installation to me

John

Hi John
Pipes tap into the rad top and bottom.
Engines Good ,I may use it untill it  goes pop but what i won't do is rebuild it when that happens i'll just go straight in with the rover unit .

Cheers Steve

Archived