Stag with 3ltr ford essex engine and auto box

x9rey

Just purchased a triumph stag with a 3 ltr ford essex engine with an auto box.

I was looking at converting the engine back to a V8 but with a Rover SD1 engine, except for the engine mounts what else needs replcing?

Will the gearbox be OK, or will this need changing for a rover auto box, and will the prop and diff need replacing. The car needs a lot of TLC to the bodywork, so will be stripped and whilst doing this i was thinking i may as well go the distance.

Any help as to what need to be done or even advise on possible routes for the project will be much appreciated.

I will be looking at setting up a blog at some point soon to keep a history of the cars development. Also will post the details of the car once i get it back to the lockup.

Many thanks for any comments to follow. This will be my third triumph but the first for nearly 20 years. Ive previously had a 2000, and then a TR7 in the past, the latter the reason i am keeping away from the 3ltr triumph V8 (aluminium head and steel block dont work)

X9REY

:-/

There is a lot of info on this forum about fitting Rover V8s to Stags - it's worth using the search facility.

As for the gearbox, probably best to fit one (complete with torque converter) from a Rover P6 as it will have the right bell housing and the ratios, change speeds etc will match the characteristics of the engine.

I say P6 rather than SD1 simply because the P6 had a Borg Warner auto, same as the Stag so should be less hassle to fit, whereas I don't think SD1s used Borg Warner; I think they used a GM box and possibly something else for later models.

The rear housing of the Rover version of the B/W box is completely different though so, if you can find one, fit one from a Stag or 2000/2.5.

Cheers

Steve H

suziestag wrote:
the reason i am keeping away from the 3ltr triumph V8 (aluminium head and steel block dont work)

X9REY

:-/

My 130,000 mile triumph V8 works fine !!!

Just run in then. My last one was on nearly 190,000 (original block) when I sold it. I know of some with well over 200,000 under their belts - or should that be chains  ;)
Dave

shenderson wrote:

The rear housing of the Rover version of the B/W box is completely different though so, if you can find one, fit one from a Stag or 2000/2.5.

So my auto bw35 from my 2000 wont fit my Dads stag with a p6 rover v8 then?

Thanks Alex

Alex wrote:

So my auto bw35 from my 2000 wont fit my Dads stag with a p6 rover v8 then?

Thanks Alex

It should fit without too much difficulty but you'll either need to use a "Rover" bell housing or an adapter plate.

However, although the fundamental design of the gearbox is the same, change speeds, kickdown speeds etc will be tuned to suit the application.

In addition, it is possible (although I'm not certain) that the 2000 bw 'box has a lower torque capacity than the P6 unit, in which case it might not cope with the Rover torque.

This might not be a problem unless your Dad has a lead foot!

Steve H

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a ford RS3100 V6 in mine......with a 5 speed box, stage 2 tuned, cross drilled crank etc = 180 Bhp....seems to go quite well......not too bad on fuel either, unless the temptation to plant the right foot takes over....

Archived