4400 P76 engine

kritikon

Don't really know what those engines were like, but what little I've heard is quite good. This Stag is for sale locally (not that many around these parts...only seen 4 or 5 others here...). Looks to be in excellent nick, and the price is pretty good too - I'd imagine it's a low-ish price simply because of the engine swap. It's going for $17,500 o.n.o, whereas I've already had an offer of $18,000 for mine (original engine etc) and mine is probably only mediocre at best - little bit of rust near the boot latch, slightly bent chassis and a few other niggles.

So anybody know if the P76 engine is any good? Must admit I really don't like the bonnet bulge, but if it's quicker than the standard V8, I might consider it.

The link...    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Triumph/Stag/auction-206633713.htm

Some blurb...

Quote:
*Make Me A Reasonable Offer This Car Must Go*

This car is in pristine condition for a daily driver. Comes with both Hard Top and Soft Top

Body:-
It had a fresh coat of original paint last year. All chrome trims are original and in mint condition. No rust anywhere on the body whats so ever. Few scuff marks are there on the body. New blue mohair soft top installed.

Mechanicals:-
It has a professional and certified rare 4.4 Liter Leyland P76 motor conversion. Motor was reconditioned at that time and sounds and runs like a new motor should. Automatic transmission shifts smooth. Got all the seals and gaskets replaced so virtually no oil leaks. It has got new power steering rack fitted recently. Tires are ok for now.

Interiors:-
Its all original and in mint condition. There is one small rip near adjuster on passenger seat but other then that all seats are in excellent condition. Dash is excellent with no cracking and all the gauges are original and work fine. Carpet is in pristine condition. All the knobs and switches are original and everything works inside. There is a crack on top interior cockpit light. Both armrests have got some cracking and Hardtop headlining needs some work.

Electricals:-
Everything on car works. All the headlights, indicators, lights are original Lucas (Not Cheap Repro) and in mint condition.

Over all this is a very reliable daily driver. All the hard work is done already. Everything was done professionally & heaps of money spent in recent years.

It will be sad to see it go, dont want to sell it really but recent transfer to wellington forced this decision and more so I need another modern practical vehicle for the growing family.

Oh sorry...forget it. I just reread it and noticed it's an auto... :-/

Why would anyone choose to put an auto in a Stag?

Thought it sounded too good to be true :'(

The engine of a Leyland P76 is an enlarged (from 3.5 l) Rover V8.  I don't know if it's bored or stroked, or both, but should be subject to more or less the same foibles.

I think the P76 was made in the early 70's.  Pre-1976 RV8s use a bit of rope instead of a proper rear crankshaft oil seal, and it's as effective as you'd expect (a hint to what "virtually no oil leaks" might  mean...)

Later engines have bigger valves too, and head gasket leaks are not unusual until engines made from about 1994.

Front suspension needs to be adjusted to compensate for the lighter engine.

Steve H

It is essentially a stroked Rover V8, but not stroked in the same way as the more recent ones. It has spacers that lift the heads further from the block to allow the extra stroke. It is, to be blunt, an inferior way of stroking a 3.5 litre RV8.

Having said that, they are otherwise as reliable as any RV8 is. Because of the extra distance between the heads you can't bolt on EFI from a rover V8; basically you are stuck with a P76 intake manifold or with buying some spacer plates that are not cheap.

On the flipside... you can boltany Rover V8 in where the leyland motor is, since you would already have a suitably replaced/adapted gearbox, engine mounts, etc. So you may well be able to get rid of the bonnet bulge with a bit of effort, if at some stage in the future you replace the P76 motor. Let's face it a used Rover V8 is not expensive in the scheme of things.

That's not the worst bonnet hump I've ever seen. There are some out there with GM V8s that look like they should be ringing bells at Notre Dame.

Jason

OK...so not really that fantastic? I didn't think there was that much of a difference between the Stag V8 and the Rover? Just the extra 1400cc makes one think it might have been better. As they say though...not the size, it's what you do with it.

kritikon wrote:
OK...so not really that fantastic? I didn't think there was that much of a difference between the Stag V8 and the Rover? Just the extra 1400cc makes one think it might have been better. As they say though...not the size, it's what you do with it.

Oh, it would perform vastly better than a Stag V8 I would think! I didn't mean to make it sound bad. They were the engine to get when the only other option was a 3.5 litre Rover V8, but now that there are more RV8s around from 3.9 litres up the 4.4 leyland is less sought-after. But it is a torquey motor - 200bhp and 380Nm out of the box and more if you want it. A lot more lively than 145bhp and 230Nm from a Stag V8, and less weight.

Archived