Triumph Stag Engine Clicking Noise

mikeyb

No but I personally would be worried about that.  Can you obtain a stethoscope or similar to pin it down accurately?

If it is from the dizzy area, there is not much there other than the dizzy itself and the jackshaft.

Pop the dizzy out (turn engine to TDC first and note where rotor arm points so you can get it back in correct afterwards), see if you can pin the noise down to the dizzy itself. Have a look down the hole and see if there looks to be any problem with the jackshaft teeth.

Can you still hear ir when you turn the engine over on the starter?

Cheers
Mike!

Could be the cam bucket skirts making contact wih the head casting. This is not uncommon, and happens either because of wear in the tappet bore or casting imperfections. If this is the cause, there's no need to panic. If you can ignore the tick, it can wait until you have real cause to remove the heads, and clean up the tappet bores then.

allen_emptage wrote:
Hi, Any-one with experience of  ticking noise which seems to be coming from the area of the distributer? Sounds like tappet noise but I have checked these and found ok.
Ticking is annoying and speeds up with engine revs. Any thoughts much appreciated.  

Allen,
This sounds ike the classic problem which afflicts quite a few heads, particularly Mk1. It emanates from around cylinder 6 tappets and is often caused by the skirt of the tappet bucket contacting the casting. I had this for 18 years and it didn't affect performance or get worse. Changed the heads earlier this year and the noise stopped.
If you can put up with it then leave it until you have to have the head off. To get to the part of the casting to dress it requires removal of the camshaft, bucket and valve spring, so is not really possible in-situ.
Dave

• 2 years later...

The links posted in answer to your other thread should be a good start.
Otherwise, search google for 'triumph stag buyers guide'.
Here are some more in depth guides:
http://www.triumph-stags.com/Triumph-Stag-Buyers-Guide
http://www.vtr.org/Stag/Stag-buying.shtml

Not heard much in the way of cracking heads, more so warped heads and that is usually down to poorly maintained cooling systems - most of which will have been sorted by now.  
Expect to spend money either way you do it.  What your capabilites are may dictate the state of the car you should seek.

Very little difference really.  Mainly cosmetic.  Sill (rust horror) covers are a later fitment as are twin coachlines, though these can be fitted retrospectively.  There is no definite MkI or MkII, the changes were made during the life of the car, though many changes were made simultaneously in early 1973, which is when the MkII production started.  Better is talk of 'sanctions'instead of 'marks'if one is to be a pendant.  http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/content--name-Triumph-Stag-Vehicle-Information  I know for example that early sanction 3 cars had early type door mechanisms while the later sanction 3 cars had the later type - not a definite change over thus.

As you can see from that link above, there is little difference in the specs during the whole production run.  Really early cars had an air filter box with twin horn sticking out forwards, quickly changed to a central cool air duct.  Cooling system on early cars is also different in details such as pressure cap rating.  Some of the last cars had smaller radiators.
Trim interior wise you'll find early cars have no head restraints and a map light on the glove box lid.  Also had the courtesy light on the B-pillar rather than the T-bar.  Early cars also had 3/4 windows in the soft top.

Mechanically the heads are supposed to have different part numbers, but I'm not sure of any real difference in the casting.  Some engines have flat topped pistons, some dished and some domed - all giving different compressions.  Much later on the auto box type was changed.

You've mentioned wanting a tax exempt car, that puts your choice firmly in 'MkI' territory.  Not a bad choice at all.  If I were to advise, I'd go for a '72 due to the changes made.  If you go beyond the tax limiter, then a '73 car wouldin my opinion be good.  Beware though, I'm not an expert so don't treat my word as being the be all end all.

What, by 1973?  No, but the problem wasn't the design.  The problem was that some eejits on the production line didn't get all the casting sand out some engine blocks which caused interuptions in the coolant flow.  Bigger problem was lack of corrossion inhibitor in the cooling system.  Many brought their cars into BL dealers to be serviced and the mechanics there had little experience with Stag V8s.  They had Austins, Morris, Rovers and all the other Triumphs to deal with, most of which had all iron engines.  An engine with iron block and alloy head wasn't common and because many mechanics don't bother to read service publications (ask me how I know) they often filled with water only in the summer which is a no-no. or simply didn't flush the coolant as often as they should have.
So, overheating problems were mainly due to faulty maintainence.  Most have been sorted.

Archived