Jump to content

removing the engine with out the box


mlawso16

Recommended Posts

I have managed twice to remove and refit a fully built up Stag engine without removal of the (manual) gearbox.  Radiator, cooling fan and viscous coupling did need to be taken off for it to work well, otherwise no space.
I guess your problem is where to attach lifting gear?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about some lifting eyes in available stud/bolt holes?  Or maybe in holes of water pump and distributor - not beautifull but should take the weight. I guess failing that you'd ideally need lifting straps around the whole block.
If you do have a few free stud/bolt holes but not in the right locations, you could make some kind of plate to attach to the head faces of the block and then lift via the plates - bascially simulate the head with a bit of angle iron if you get my drift?

Julian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jack the front of the car up as high as poss.  Lift from front of engine, allow gearbox rear end to sweep under car. (easy over a pit!).  Drop front down again once engine/box hanging vertical to allow lift over front panel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MikeyB wrote:
Jack the front of the car up as high as poss.  Lift from front of engine, allow gearbox rear end to sweep under car. (easy over a pit!).  Drop front down again once engine/box hanging vertical to allow lift over front panel.


If removing engine and box together I would suggest that you raise the back of the car as much as possible. The engine/gearbox then come out much closer to horizontally and removes the need to lift the combo almost vertically.

Removing the engine alone is possible, and is the way I did it last time I had to rebuild a Stag engine. The biggest problem is getting to the upper engine/bellhousing bolts, but this is much easier if the heads are removed first. Sling a sturdy rope under the block as shown in dasadrew's picture above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OUT!! however lessons learnt drain oil first!!! made a nice mess of the drive and pavement

had to sling it out after removing the box (which in comparrison to what ive been through was a doddle)

biggest problem as commented was getting the engine lift to go high enough to clear the car. which is when it slipped and dumped the oil meaning i had to drop it verticaly back down to pick it up.

any way all done and off to the rebuilders to remove the studs and carry out some work friday.

Credit where its due i cant thank you lot enough for the help and support.

thanks marc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...