Remove engine without auto box ?

spritemad

Morning all - a little advice from the learned collective please !

After an initial start up of my stag project, i discovered that the water pump had turned up its toes and dropped the coolant into the sump ! to I've decided to strip the engine and check for other issues. Heads have been removed and other than the usual carbon in the combustion chambers i can see no other obvious damage - yet ! I have decided to pull the block from the car to check the bottom end out but i am wondering if i can leave the auto box in the car ? My thoughts are undo the torque converter bolts, then support the box on a jack and separate the extension housing and engine whilst trying to keep the torque converter attached to the gearbox so as not to drop transmission fluid on the floor. I have an engine crane so no problems lifting it - any ideas anyone ?

cheers

Paul

It can certainly be done that way, but you will need some way of holding the converter backwards when the engine is moved forward as even with the converter bolts removed the converter often gets dragged out by the spigot. If it does I'd take the opportunity to renew the front pump seal before refitting the converter into the front of the box, in fact as you're that close I'd replace it any, because if you don't you just know it's going to leak afterwards.....

You don't even need that; I've changed many, many engines with auto trans and heve NEVER had a torque converter drop out.

Just keep an eye on it as you start to move the engine forward, giving the converter an occasional push back with your finger IF it looks like it is coming forward with the engine. Obviously keep trans higher towards the front so gravity works in your favour.    ;)

After engine is out ensure the trans does not 'droop' at the nose and it will sit there quite happily until it is time to refit the engine. If left on hydraulic jack they have a tendency to slowly drop and can result in nose down attitude that will lead to the converter sliding forward and out!    :D

I have done engine removals with so many auto transmissions now that I prefer to work on them over manual cars; they are just so much easier to remove and refit the engine, particularly in front wheel drive moderns where space in the engine compartment is often VERY tight.        8)

Archived