Engine Trouble :(

S.Murphy

My acclaim had overheating probs after my brother (who owned it before me) put that rad-weld stuff in the radiator when it was hit my a stone.
It had a new radiator and the system flushed, which seemed to sort the overheating.
Then it started loosing the coolant, which was leakign out of the water pump. Changed that and it has fun fine for some time.
Though on sunday there I was driving (open road about 60mph), I noticed the temp was way up. Pulled over and filled the radiator (It took the full 2 liters of coolant I keep spair in my boot) and I noticed these wet patches around the cylinder head...

I'm guessing this is where my coolant is getting out, if not then something else is leaking :S.

You guys know what the problem is here? If its just a broken seal or is it something bigger. And also what would you guys suggest?

Ive had the haads off 5 of these in the last 12 months, only one for a head gasket and the smallest warp of the lot was 6 thou  on taking the head off, there is also a corrosion porosity problem on the gasket face if put straight back on without skimming it!
I wouldnt tempt fate just get it skimmed for the small cost involved based on experience

sorry toledoman you will end up revisiting it unless you are very very lucky!

h

h

When the head was off it went to my mate Brian who ground the valves & fitted the valve stem oil seals. He doesn't skimp on anything and leaves nothing to chance so if he thought the head needed skimming he would have said so. Also, bear in mind that Blue had about 41,000 miles on the clock when the head came off. I've clocked up nearly 4,000 miles since (daily driving) without any problems.

If it goes again I will have it skimmed.

• 1 month later...

Ok, been busy the past wee while so never got round to fixing the car. Dont want to leave it sitting in the garage much longer so can you guys help me track down the following parts? I had a look on ebay but no luck.

Valve Stem Oil Seals
Rocker Cover Gasket
Cooling System Bleed Valve - Might as well fix this ile I'm at it, it broke a while ago.

Also is there anythign else I'll need? I have the head gasket and a timing belt to change while i'm at it.

Thanks

Scott, I've still got that bleed valve if you still want it. A head gasket set will include the valve stem oil seals and the rocker cover gasket so no worries there. I'm quite sure your local engine rebuilding place can get hold of a head gasket set. Changing the timing belt is a very good idea while the head is off.

@Toledo Man: Yeah, send me a PM and let me know how much you want for sending it up.

@acclaimtofame: Did that set come with the valve stem oil seals and rocket cover gasket?

I have already got a head gasket but did not get any otehr gasket or seals with it.

My head gasket set only cost me a tenner from a local engine rebuilder. My trusty local motor factor was asking £18 for the same item.

Scott, I'll put it in the post (along with that parts catalogue on CD-ROM) and we'll sort out costs later.

The procedure for the head removal outlined in the Haynes manual is pretty much the same as in the factory workshop manual. When I removed the head I left the exhaust manifold bolted on as it is easier to separate them with the head off and when the head wouldn't come off I was able to use my trolley jack (and a block of wood) to get the head off by jacking it up on the exhaust manifold.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived