After Putting Engine back...

shadowbane

So i have just put the engine back and having gone through loosing tiny little b******d clips etc ;) i am just about at the point of starting up again, at this point in time the engine is completly dry except for fuel....I remember reading somewhere about a detailed "startup" procedure...i have searched (honest) but can't find it...if it's around can someone point me to it and if it don't exist is there anything i should look out for?

Thanks

Stand way the hell back!

And umm, usually folks recommend removing the distributor, getting the shaft of an old distributor &, sticking it in a drill, & then spinning the oil pump for a while to get some oil in all the good spots.

I've never done that (though my last GT6 rebuild was about 15 years ago), I just used assembly lube.

If you have fitted a new cam or reprofiled one with new lifters it is a good idea to start the engine and not let it idle.. eg let it run at 2000 rpm for at least 5-10minutes whilst someone else checks for leaks and tops up the radiator and adjusts the timing... two person job and needs some thought

start up rocedure from new

either: if you prelubed the bearings as you built, take the spark plugs out; spin the motor on the startermotor until you get the oil pressure up, you will hear the starter slow as the oil pressure gets up,; reinstall the sparkplugs and start the engine; run at a fast idle for 20 mins or so to lube the camshaft (you did prelube that didn't you???

or take the dizzy out; make a tool to drive the oilpump shaft in the right direction with an electric drill; pump up the oilpressure that way; reinstall the dizzy and start, run at 20 mins at a fast idle - 2000rpm

The only thing apart from a few small minor details was replace the thust washers so the engine hasn't had that rough a time from me :P although the speed i work it's been stood for a few months now.....thanks for the replys...i'll see what happens in a bit when i get the last few pipes etc.

Archived