Spitfire with MGF engine

SpitfireVVC

Can anybody help me.
My ex built a spitfire and put a engine from a crashed MGF in it.
The car is a blast but since we split up I have had to look after the car as he left me with it.
There is a terible knocking noise coming from the back whenever I slow down and its getting worse.
The car is also using a lot of water.
S

The knocking could well be a Universal Joint that is worn. Do you know much about the running gear? That is, was it just the engine replaced or did the ex-other half change the drive-shafts and differential from standard Spitfire stuff to something else?

If it is standard at the back then the knocking when coasting or slowing down does sound like a Universal Joint (UJ) that is worn. If it is, how handy are you? If you are handy then you might be able to identify the worn UJ and replace it. If not then you should be able to take it to a Classic friendly garage that can change it/them for you.

UJs are around £10 but would probably be an hour to an hour and half labour so I would figure on £50+. You could supply the UJ as they are available from most suppliers like Rarebits and Canley Classics.

The collant loss sounds like it could be a split or damaged hose that could be the culprit. Hoses are not expensive but if you have a non-standard engine in there then it might not be standard Spitfire cooling hoses. The other (amongst a few) possibilities is that you have a leaking radiator. It would be a good idea to see if you can idenify an area where you may have a leak by lifting the bonnet whilst the engine is running and having a good look round. You should be able to spot tell-tale signs of where the water may be dripping from. Does the coolant level go down between runs (i.e. does it drop when the car is parked up?) or is it only whilst driving?

Pictures might also help us to help you. Pictures of around the engine bay and coolant hoses and also the rear drive shafts and differential.

Best of luck and get back to us with some more info which may help us find out where you should go from here.

Regards, Neil

SpitfireVVC wrote:
The car is also using a lot of water.

Er, don't mean to be bearer of bad news but coolant loss is one of the symptoms that may indicate your K-series engine has developed one of its known problems -- the end result of which is it's possible the cylinder head gasket is about to or has already failed...

Hmm, a matey of mine toyed with a k series idea about 3 or 4 years ago. However the new crated engine that was going to be the price of a few beers never materialised so it never happened.
And we wonder why Rover went under. They never could deliver......

Archived