Engine advice for a newbie

phil866

Hi all and thanks for a brilliant forum. Love the humour.  I have a 1500 engine in my spit which I know has an unleaded head with worn guides and in need of a rebuild.  The oil pressure is on the mark and the compression test is 120psi dead on all 4  cylinders. It does use oil but I suspect it is because of the guides as I have an oil feed kit fitted (recon rocker assembly fitted at the same time). I'm fairly sure the cam followers are wearing because of the (sorry about this) 'clippety cloppity' noise on idle. I can't think of any other way of describing it....or it may be the timing chain!?
Should I replace the head with a rebuilt one and also change the followers and chain and see what difference it makes......or just go for a rebuild?  The engine is sweet and revs without complaint to the red line, no rumbles or rattles on cold start ups and no sign of wear from the thrust bearings....also strangely no oil leaks! I'd rather spend money overhauling the gearbox.....I need someone to tell what to do....Help.  Many thanks for your thoughts!

The rocker feed kit is most likely the cause of your oil consumption. Take that off, adjust the tappets and then see how it goes. I'd be fairly confident that this will deal with what problems you have, if not then at least you won't have wasted money in trying!
If you look though the archives you will find plenty has been written about the external rocker feed kit. To summarise, they divert oil from where it is most required (the main bearings) to where it is only intended to trickle by design. They can be implemented succesfully within a more radical engine rebuild, but for the standard engine they are a waste of money (and oil!),
Cheers,
Bill.

sometimes when those rocker feed kits are fitted a grub screw is inserted in the head at the same time to block off the original oil way and hence avoid over oiling the rocker shaft. So there is a danger if you remove the external feed you might be left with no rocker oil feed at all. No doubt you can check this by removing the rocker shaft assembly plus the push rods and spinning it over on the starter a few times and check for oil coming up the oil way under the rocker shaft pedestal.

Archived