Engine Cut Out - Spitfire 1500

Becci

Heya
Just wondering if anyone can help...
My engine won't stay running in my Spitfire 1500. It starts ok, but as soon as I take my hand off the key, and release the ignition, it cuts out. When it did stay running, the engine would cut out randomly while I was driving.
Has anyone got any idea of what the problem might be? I would appreciate any help.
Becci x

Has it got a dirty fuel filter? Is there rubbish in the float chambers etc?

I can't see how it relates to ignition thing exactly - you do mean you have the start motor spinning all the time and when you release the key the engine dies? But it does sound like it could relate to the other problem(s).

Or, if you don't mean it only runs when the starter motor is spinning then it could be an iffy connection in the ignition switch?

I agree with Bill, ballast resistor. Mine had similar symptoms, randomly cutting out usually at embarassing moments like overtaking :( took me ages to find it.
As you know the ballast resistor is the pink & white wire to the coil, mine had a break inside the insulation. Easy solution bypass it & fit a 12v coil.

had this a couple of weeks ago it was the small switch block in the rear of the ign barrell it sounds the same as this car would run if you held the key as if to start the engine but not to long as it nkeeps the starter engageing and as soon as you let it sit back it would turn of the supply to the ign our problem may not be the same but i hope its wotrh a mention

Had this prob with the Landy, engine would only fire when being cranked, same as jigsaw and rally have said, it was the ignition switch playing up. On the Landrover the switch can be removed from the steering lock and replaced but I am not sure if the Spitfire is the same.

Archived