1300cc engine into MK2

Jazzman

Hi Gents,

I am quite new into this world and I was thinking about somehting that might seem a bit stupid, i dont know:

I was wondering if it is worth upgrading a mk2 with a reconditioned 1300 engine. Apart from the engine itself, which other parts would I have to upgrade (carburator, etc...)?

Is it worth doing so? I mean, do you think the power is noticeable?

cheers

i think the 1300 engine is a better engine altogether than the Mk2 engine, the horsepower went up from about 65 to 70 or thereabouts and the 0-60 times dropped by approx 2 seconds, i would say that you should notice a difference in the performance and if i'm not mistaken the 1300 should bolt up to the 1300, however the clutch i think was changed to better cope with the extra power.

Back to the question, you would need the inlet and exhaust manifolds (easy) and although the carbs will fit, not sure about linkages etc. and needles would be different.
Best to get a complete unit, all carbs/manifolds etc. You may need a exhaust front pipe too, or a MK3 complete system. Or buy a 4>2>1 exhaust manifold, yours has one but it wont fit the 1300/1500 engines.
If you do want handling improvemnts then GT is right, get a late (MKIV/1500) rear spring and front antiroll bar. Cheap and easy and works a treat.
And an overdive is a nice addition too if not already fitted......

Clive

As said, the 1296cc unit out of a MK3 is the one to go for, it would liven up your MK2 nicely.  Spitfire MK3 engines have the engine number prefix FD.  The 1296cc unit from the MK4 Spitfire is prefixed FH.

The MK3 engine is a very sweet little performer, I actually have one in my 1500, it was in the car when I bought it and I have not seen the need to change it.

Keep your 1147cc engine, especially if it is the original, you can always refit it if you wish, having said that, there are plenty of Herald owners who would give it a home.

Archived