jlo1986

HI guys,
I'm about to remove the engine from my 1500. I've read the haynes and have everything ready. I'm planning to lift it on the lifting eye at the back of the engine and also the bracket with the alternator on (i think). Are these good places to lift and is there anything else i should watch out for?
Cheers, Jamie

Don’t use rope, if you can help it.

It stretches

Use chain.

Keep it as short as poss.

Helps to stop the thing swinging and is easier to control

Put a jack under the gearbox to support it.

Double check you have everything disconnected and not left a bolt
in the bell housing.

I think it would be very difficult,  almost dangerous to lift the engine and gearbox out of the car with the bonnet on.

I'd take the bonnet off, not too difficult to line the bonnet up. Using a static hoist you can then move the car backwards etc. This the way I always take the 6 cyl engine out of my GT6, generally do with the g'box coupled.

Right- so the engines out, everything went pretty well. One problem that I noticed after the engine was out was with the gearbox/clutch. The clutch fork (as I think it's called!) didn't seem to have the pivot pin in and was lose. That’s the best I can describe have a look at the pics below:

I didn't have any real problems changing gear before hand and I don't think there's anyway this could have happened during engine removal (the pin looks like it's been out a while anyway). I'll remedy the problem before the engine goes back in but has anyone every seen anything like this before?

phil866 wrote:
Quick question willcolumbine, can you remove and replace the engine, complete with gearbox and overdrive from the side? T'would make life a lot easier for me as well!

Yeah as tim said you can't really leave the bonnet on and take the engine and gearbox out. The whole things too long to get out easily. Likewise with a 6 pot, its probably easier to do it without the bonnet. For just fishing a 1500 out though its fine to leave the bonnet on!

The old pivot pin strikes again I see! The pivot pin is such a classic triumph fault! I had this when I first got my car. I thought the gearbox was rubbish and then I found the missing pin, replaced it and all was well!

Can't take engine and gearbox out with bonnet on?
What do you think garages did to save time?
Even a Vitesse heart, with an overdrive, can come out with the bonnet on, and thats the tightest fit of all!

You need a tilting lifter.
Angle the engine front up as you pull it upwards and forwards, then rotate to clear the O/d output flange from the bulkhead.
The engine and gearbox are now lying transversely across the engine bay. (see below)
Lift it as high as possible, higher than the bulkhead lip.
Lay a blanket or other thick protection on the screen, and push the car forwards, or the engine back, until the engine lies against the windscreen.  (Not ON the windscreen!)
You can now close the bonnet, and push the car back, away from under the engine.

Of course, if you have enough space and a big enough engine crane, just push that bcak from the sid eof thecar, when the engine is lying across the bay.

John

I've never taken the bonnet off on a Vitesse / Herald to get the engine out but I must admit I perfer to split the engine / box in situ. Take the box out frm inside the car and the engine is far easier to handle with a hoist. There's loads of ways to do it but having had to adjust a bonnet before I found it to be the worst job ever so I try and leave them well alone! The SPit would be tighter for space but the bonnet adjustment just as tricky!

That pin cost me hours of frustrated driving and cursing at my newly fitted ebayed overdrive, unit until upon taking the gearbox out I found the pin had gone missing. the gearbox was sweet after i got another pin sorted.

easy job
Stuart

I have a 1500 and have a narrow garage, so use a fixed hoist hanging in the centre from the roof.  Having lifted the engine I therefore need to be able to move the car out of the way, so I can't leave the gearbox in.  Not being strong enough to lift the gearbox out from inside, I always take out the engine and gearbox together without the bonnet but using tilting lifter.

To remove the bonnet and put it out of harm's way, I have the car at the far end of the garage and jack up the front a bit, tie the bonnet to a roof beam, undo the hinges before dropping the car and leave the bonnet safely hanging there.  Perhaps it's because the bonnet is original and the car has never had a prang, but refitting the bonnet is never a problem.  You can see the marks where the hinge bolts were before in the elongated slots so I just put them back there.

It takes time to do all that but it is a one man job.

Archived