1500 engine rebuild

dann

Hi

Getting a bit agitated that the spitfire needs no work doing to it, so would like to rebuild an engine as I've never done this before and it will keep me busy for a while
If I were to buy an engine from ebay in need of rebuild and assumed mostly all the main parts needed replacing, how much roughly would it set me back? I'd only want a standard engine power wise but with quality bearings ect.

Have a look on Ebay, theres a bloke on there advertises complete rebuild kits for Triumph engines, around £275 if memory serves correctly. Just supply the sizes for pistons, bearings etc.  Tyne and Wear I think, but it'll be posted, so dont matter.
Of course, theres always Rimmers, Moss, Canley Classics, I imagine they would all do something similar.
Dave

sorry for this noddy question but how do I know what size pistons / bearings I need. Is this something the machine shop would tell me after re-grinding the crank and reboring the cylinders.  :X

The bearing quality is very important, as you have sussed. I expect the rebuild kits supply the nasty county ones. Best avoided.
But the costings? parts could be easily £400 if you replace the cam and use good bearings, machining a couple of hundred? possibly more if you want unleaded head, bigger valves and a little headwork. Or get a dremel and a few evenings in the garage with a porting guide, Could head towards the £1000 mark easily!
Not sure what the best head is in terms of flow/power. GT used to extol the virtues of the toledo head on a 1500. I presume he meant a 1500 toledo. Must have larger valves etc, so may well be worth sourcing all the best used parts to start with. Would def change the cam too while you are at it, nothing too fancy, and agree with GT that the mk 3 cam is a good way to go. It does make sense to do this as you go, so you don't have to repeat any work later, and it costs no/little extra.

Clive

Yeah, the Toledo 1500TC head had bigger valves, as did some MkIV 1300 heads if I recall???

dann, if you are interested I have a 1500 sat in the garage that I have just taken out of my car, as I am going for a 1300 13/60 instead. Engine was running up until mid Feb, when I took it out. Valve giudes are worn, so need replacing, However block is still on original bores and pistons, although the head is an unleaded. Other than burning oil (valve guides as mentioned) the engine ran sweet, and pulled really well.

Downside - I live in the Lakes, so you would need to sort out transport, and you would need to source an exhaust and intake manifold, as I am planning on using these on the 1300 for the time being.

I am not really wanting much for the engine other than to get rid of it, so maybe the cost of a couple of pints?? Also, in terms of transport, I can give you details of the company I used to collect the 1300 from Eastbourne. Cost me 120 quid to move engine from there to the lakes, including a Saterday pickup. For normal pickup/delivery I seem to remember it was more like 70/80 quid for that distance (pretty much one end of england to the other), so I would have thought it would be less for you??

Let me know what you think anyway, basically the engine is taking up space in my garage which I need for my rebuild!! ;D

Cheers,

Phil

Re Phil's post about MKIV heads... MKIV heads after FH25000 (head number 218142) have 1.431" inlet valves. Be aware that the US spec (218141) low compression head is a full millimetre thicker and much lower compression ratio.

Both have standard sized exhaust valves.

Archived