2.0 engine into a spitfire

ingubidire

ingubidire - this is what I have found so far in my quest to do the same to my Spit:

GT6 bonnet
GT6 or Vitesse suspension turrets
GT6 or Vitesse engine + all ancilliaries (dizzy / carbs / manifold / etc etc)
GT6 or Vitesse gearbox
GT6 or Vitesse diff (you might get away with the Spit one, depends on the ratio and the type of gearbox that you're going for)
GT6 gearbox tunnel
GT6 prop shaft
GT6 or Vitesse front brakes
GT6 or Vitesse rear brakes
GT6 manifold / exhaust
6 cylinder rev counter
GT6 radiator (or you can make rads from other cars fit)
GT6 or Vitesse front suspension (uprights etc needed to take the bigger calipers)
GT6 or Vitesse hubs (bigger that the Spit ones)

If you can, get a complete (running) engine, as the cost to rebuild one (and get hold of all the missing bits will be the biggest cost.

If you can get an overdrive gearbox then snap it up, and the same applies to distributors.

If you see any, you might want to add the wider 5.5J wheels - if nothing else they look better!

Good luck.

Neil

So if I were to embark down the same route would it be OK to keep my Spit 1500 3.63 diff with a 2.0 engine? Seems to be a good diff with no whining or knocking....

Has anyone done this with or without an overdrive gearbox. Any opinions?

Llessur wrote:
So if I were to embark down the same route would it be OK to keep my Spit 1500 3.63 diff with a 2.0 engine? Seems to be a good diff with no whining or knocking....

Has anyone done this with or without an overdrive gearbox. Any opinions?

Yes. Absolutely fine. Probably the best diff to have in terms of strength.

You'll need an electric tacho as the Vitesse mechanical tacho makes the dizzy sit too high for the GT6 bonnet - there's not a lot of space there :-)
It makes a very different car to a Spitfire, fast but not quite as nimble but still fun in a different way

Jason wrote:
You'll need an electric tacho as the Vitesse mechanical tacho makes the dizzy sit too high for the GT6 bonnet - there's not a lot of space there :-)
It makes a very different car to a Spitfire, fast but not quite as nimble but still fun in a different way

Jason,

Can you confirm this last point? I've been looking at several pictures of both Vitesse engines (with the Lucas dizzy with mechanical tacho take-off) and the GT6 ones with the original Delco units, and the Lucas one doesn't look any taller...

Archived