jojo

Hi guys trying to get my mk 4 spit up and running after the winter and am having some serious running issues
the car is missfiring ,seeems to be no 1 cylnder maybe 4 as well,have replaced dizzy cap rotoe arn condensor plug leads and plug,doesnt seem to make much differnce
timing is ok,we has te carbs off durng the winter because the car wouldnt start and appeared to be fuel issue,replaced 1 jet cause the pipe looked kinked/squashed ,car starts fine but is runnig like a bag of spanners
Carbs have been set as per standard insrtuctions
anyone any ideas cause im running out of clues? though it might be air or electrical??

First things first if you haven't already done so set the timing. Once that is correct follow the SU set up guide on this website http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=sutune.htm

If your still having problems I would try a different pair of carbs or take them off and check them over.

It sounds as tho you are running lean, by following James' guide should sort your mixture but the timing HAS to be right first.

Also make sure that your gaps on the plugs are correct.

I am sure someone else will post a few more ideas shortly.

Mike

You need to be methodical to identify the problem. Assuming you can get it to tick over I'd start by pulling each plug lead off one at a time (using insulated pliars) to find which cylinders are affecting performance. Any faulty spark will be identified if the engine doesn't change speed or smoothness. Let us know the result of that test and I'm sure we can help.

I know it may seem silly but check you havnt accidently bolted one of your air filters the wrong way round. If it is it'll be blocking air flow to one carb and will cause it to misfire.

(i've been stupid & tired enough to have done this before!)

If the car was running well before the winter layup, and now is running poorly, it is unlikely to be the timing (unless someone has moved the dizzy) while the car was layed-up.

The first thing I would suspect after a layup is stale fuel - it does go off.  Have you put fresh petrol in the car since bringing it out of hibernation?

I used to work in a lawnmower shop, and you would not believe the number of poeple who used to ring up each spring saying that their lawnmowers wouldn't work after the winter.  The standard advice was: drain the tank, drain the carb, refil with fresh 4-star, if that doesn't fix it, bring it in for us to look at.  9 times out of 10 it solved the problem.

Archived